Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

nroeder07
Frequent Visitor

Custom Week filter

Sorry if this is a simple question however, I am new to Power BI, Power Query, DAX. I do however have expereince with sql, php, excel, etc.

My company runs a custom sales week Tuesday - Monday. 

I need to be able to filter my reports on Current Week and Previous Week. 

Example Today is Tuesday 10/18. So my current sales week would be 10/18-10/24

My previous sales week would be 10/11-10/17. 

I'm assuming that it will invovle in either (A) creating a custom column in my date table and/or (B) creating a custom date range table.

Thanks for the help. Please give detailed instructions and pretend like you're talking to an English major. This is all new to me. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

This works

EstimateWeek =[Estimate Date Year Number]*100+Date.WeekOfYear([Estimate Date],2)

TodayWeek=Date.Year(DateTime.LocalNow())*100+Date.WeekOfYear(DateTime.LocalNow(),2)

PreviousSalesWeek=if [EstimateWeek]-[TodayWeek]=-1 then 0 else 1

However I'm going to have an issue on the year transition. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there,

You could look at my data story and the associated blog post, which would enable you to create any periods that you want. Which you could then use to easily filter, as well as create measures.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Data-Stories-Gallery/Create-Dynamic-Periods-for-Fiscal-or-Calendar-...

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

If we go by option (A)

In your dateTable (or wherever your dates are) enter the following as a calculated column formula:

Custom Week that starts on Tuesdays =
WEEKNUM ( DimDate[Date] - 1; 2 )

Now all weeks start on Tuesdays and end on Mondays

Edit:

Dimdate being 'YourTable" and [Date] being 'YourDateColumn'

This works

EstimateWeek =[Estimate Date Year Number]*100+Date.WeekOfYear([Estimate Date],2)

TodayWeek=Date.Year(DateTime.LocalNow())*100+Date.WeekOfYear(DateTime.LocalNow(),2)

However I'm going to have an issue on the year transition. 

Hi @nroeder07,

>>However I'm going to have an issue on the year transition. 

You can add a condition to check the week number. If week number =1, you can use the date range of previous year 12.31 's week to filter.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, you will certainly want to have a custom column in your calendar table... probably (at least) 2.  One that is "Week Number In Year" and one that is "Week Id"... where the former is 1-52 (ish), and the latter also increments across years (so 1-157'ish across 3 years of calendar).   I can image other useful columns like "Week Ending Date" or some sort of date rangy column "10/18 - 10-24" for nice placement on rows.

If your date table is already coming from sql and you are comfortable there... I would just add the columns there.  You can also write calc columns -- think my article on p3's site has something similiar::  http://www.powerpivotpro.com/2014/04/week-ending-date-calculation/

Ok I think i've made progress and in the process become more lost. 

So i've added 4 columns

Date.StartOfWeek([EstimateDate],2)

Date.EndOfWeek([EstimateDate],2)

Date.DayOfWeek([EstimateDate],2)

Date.WeekOfYear([EstimateDate],2)

Which gives me the correct start date of each week, correct end day of each week, and the proper week count.

Now I have zero clue how to use this in my filter on my report... 

Figured it out I think 

EstimateWeek =[Estimate Date Year Number]*100+Date.WeekOfYear([Estimate Date])

TodayWeek=Date.Year(DateTime.LocalNow())*100+Date.WeekOfYear(DateTime.LocalNow())

Set filter on report to PreviousSalesWeek = 0.

Let me know if i've done anything wrong. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.