Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Pavlous
Advocate II
Advocate II

Custom Table: Unable to refresh

Hi I have this function for making summary table from 2 other tables which are data sources (Archive is excel export from SharePoint) and CAS TASKS are sharepoint items from list

Result = 

VAR calendar_date =
    CALENDAR (
        CALCULATE ( FIRSTDATE (Archive[Received Date]), Archive[Categories] = "Agreements" ),
        CALCULATE ( LASTDATE('CAS Tasks'[EndTime]), 'CAS Tasks'[Category] = "Agreements" ))
		//^^ this part takes first and last relevant date 

VAR filted =
    FILTER ( ALL ( 'CAS Tasks' ), [Category] = "Agreements" )  //First variable to establish data from CAS Table
VAR filted2=
	FILTER(ALL('Archive'),[Categories] = "Agreements")  //Second variable to establish data from Archive
RETURN                   //Returning data into new table
    ADDCOLUMNS (
        calendar_date,
        "Total", (SUMX (
            FILTER (
                ADDCOLUMNS (
                    filted,
                    "Exist", CONTAINS (
                        SELECTCOLUMNS ( CALENDAR ( [Received Date], 'CAS Tasks'[EndTime] ), "CheckDate", [Date] ),
                        [CheckDate], [Date]
                    )
                ),
                [Exist] = TRUE ()
            ),
            'CAS Tasks'[To process corr.]  // Hopefully addition to "TOTAL" from archive and SP data
    ))+
 (
    SUMX (
        FILTER (
            ADDCOLUMNS (
                filted2,
                "Exist2", CONTAINS (
                    SELECTCOLUMNS ( CALENDAR ( [Received Date], [End Time] ), "CheckDate2", [Date] ),
                    [CheckDate2], [Date]
                )
            ),
            [Exist2] = TRUE ()
        ),
        Archive[To process corr.]
    )
)
        )

And I gets this error message when I try to refresh. I am sure that the calendar starting date is no lower than the end date. Anyone has an idea where should I look?

Error messageError message

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello,

formula was and is absolutely OK. It seeems like the PowerBI is unable to find correct first / last date. Whatever, its working once again.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
quentin_vigne
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Pavlous

I also had this kind of error with a formula close to yours, I was using a database where one of the operator filled our file with the 'start date' = 18/12/2018 instead of 18/12/2017.

The end date was early 2018 so when making the calculated column I was having an error because of this record.

Try to check your files if there is a mistake ? 

- Quentin

(edited the post)

Hi @quentin_vigne,

So I have checked the files in PowerBI and it seems that our customer archived some record with nonsense 'Received Date'. So the Start date was greater than end date. However, when i filtered it out and double-checked that this condition is fullfilled, it still shows the same error message.

However thank you for your tip 🙂

@Pavlous (i've edited the above message because I've swapped end date and start date, it makes more sense now)

Can you check what's the result of : 

CALCULATE ( FIRSTDATE (Archive[Received Date]), Archive[Categories] = "Agreements" )

and the result of : 

((FIRSTDATE (Archive[Received Date]))-LASTDATE('CAS Tasks'[EndTime])) 

@quentin_vigne oh, sorry that was attempt of debugging original formula is without the -

-((FIRSTDATE (Archive[Received Date]))-LASTDATE('CAS Tasks'[EndTime]))  

part 🙂

Its a bit weird. When I filtered out all results from Archive that are after 31/12/2017 it started working. But its nonsense, even though the results before filtering were before the EndTime 😞 

@Pavlous

There is maybe a record that's still wrong ...

CALCULATE ( FIRSTDATE (Archive[Received Date]), Archive[Categories] = "Agreements" ),
        CALCULATE ( LASTDATE('CAS Tasks'[EndTime]), 'CAS Tasks'[Category] = "Agreements" ))

This formula looks correct, but is the result correct ? (First date before Lastdate ?) 

Hello,

formula was and is absolutely OK. It seeems like the PowerBI is unable to find correct first / last date. Whatever, its working once again.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.