Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Custom Supply Dimension Table to Populate Product Category by Month. All help is much appreciated.

Hi all,

I do not have the supply listed for product category in my fct_Product table, and therefore need to populate a custom supply value for each Category in my fct_Product table, but for this to also be different by each month.

I have my fct_Product table listing all the demand with a Product and Category column, as well as a dim_Date table linked to the Date column in the fct_Product. I now have tried to insert data to create a new dim_Supply table, which lists the value for by each Category for each particular month (DD/MM/YYYY). A simple illustration is shown:

Daniel7_0-1673894024660.png

However, I understandably cannot create a relationship in my data model with this new table because when try to I link both Category columns in dim_Supply and fct_Product, “each column contains duplicate values”. Is there any workaround to this, as I feel I might be overcomplicating things? I am hoping to have something I can easily customize in the future since supply can change. 

Many thanks for any help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
RemyO
Resolver I
Resolver I

If i understand correctly you want to create a relationship between 2 tables based on 2 columns in each table.

You cant. Instead:

Create a concatenated column (new column). For instance Date && " - " && Category

Do that for bot tables and create the join based on that new field

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes that seems to work! Thank you for the help

RemyO
Resolver I
Resolver I

If i understand correctly you want to create a relationship between 2 tables based on 2 columns in each table.

You cant. Instead:

Create a concatenated column (new column). For instance Date && " - " && Category

Do that for bot tables and create the join based on that new field

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.