Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

JimmyCeron_PBI1
Frequent Visitor

Custom Sort on a Matrix Help Pleaseeee!!!!!!

After having tried so many different things and failing, I decided to reach out to this incredible community.

I have a Matrix that need to be displayed in a specifc sort. I know how I can accomplishj this on a regular table visual, but the sam strategy using an Index column does not work on a Matrix visual.

I have this Matrix:

JimmyCeron_PBI1_0-1626105605354.png

But I need to sort first Column with a specific Sort customed to show as:

JimmyCeron_PBI1_1-1626105710708.png

The table looks like the following, but creating an idex for a custom sort does not work because the matrix unpivots the columns resulting in multiple rows with the same value .

JimmyCeron_PBI1_2-1626105934274.png

If you have any suggestions, I will certainly appreciate it. ; )

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Of course!!! I created Index colum after unpivotting other  columns; that create an idex for every single record. So i went back to PQ and created index then unpivot columns, and that worked as expected.

Thank you so muchhhhhh!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Wimverh
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

You need to create an index column, just on the field Descripton-Owner
401 Kathy => 1
401 - Credit Kathy => 2

then add a custom sort to your column on the new index

Wimverh_0-1626107416280.png

then sort in the matrix on the description column

That doesn't work! I have tried already with an index. The data is unpivotted, so the are multiple values in the table for each sort item (index number).

Thank you for replying ,; )

You have to model your data in a way, you have it as unique. 
In powerquery you could use reference, and then remove the duplicates. 

Wimverh_0-1626108450976.png

You can then link both tables in power bi relations, or create the link in power query

Of course!!! I created Index colum after unpivotting other  columns; that create an idex for every single record. So i went back to PQ and created index then unpivot columns, and that worked as expected.

Thank you so muchhhhhh!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.