Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Rahul146

Custom Sort on Grouped column

I have a text column in my query. I grouped it in the data fields and was able to create a matrix. However I need to change the default sort order on this grouped column. Tried reading through the tutorials and searched through the existing posts in the forum, however could not figure out how to achieve it. Appreciate your help.

Sample:

Column A from Query - Seattle, Bellevue, Boston, Quincy, Fremont, Los Angeles, ...

Grouped Column B - WA, MA, CA

Default sort order on Matrix - alphabetical

Desired sort order - MA, CA, WA

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@Rahul146

Since your City field is group on State field, which means it has multiple entries for same State in the table, it's not possible to custom a sort order column to have the State column sorted by this numeric column. 

Regards,

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Chris12
Advocate I
Advocate I
zacksg1
Advocate II
Advocate II

Once you have grouped these items, a new "Field Name (grouped)" field appears in the data table view in PowerBI as a new column in the same table as the original field. Just like any other field, you can set a sort order for this field. 

In your case, like the previous commenter said, you CANNOT use the same sort order field as for the initial field (since values likely aren't distinct). However, that doesn't need to stop you from creating a new sorting field!

For example, create a table that looks like:

State  SortOrder

MA       1

CA        2

WA       3

Then, link this table to your existing table. Then, in the existing table, create a new field called "Sort Order for States" that is just =related(SortOrderTable[SortOrder]). 

Then, that field becomes the one you can use to sort your groups using the "Sort by column" button in the modeling tab. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

This worked for me.

Thanks!

v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@Rahul146

Since your City field is group on State field, which means it has multiple entries for same State in the table, it's not possible to custom a sort order column to have the State column sorted by this numeric column. 

Regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.