Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bilalali87
Frequent Visitor

Custom Shape Map Issue

Hi guys,

Coming across a strange issue with a shape map - hopefully someone can help!

So in the desktop app I have a custom regions table built (in the background countries are linked to said regions). Data from this has then filled in the accompanying map. The map is set to auto zoom on selection of a region which all works fine and does as expected - see below.

MENAworking.png

However, problems surface when I publish the report and view in browser (tried 2 so far). All regions work and the map zooms fine - barring one; MENA. For some reason, when I click MENA in the browser report, a sublay of Antarctica covers most of the region once the map has zoomed (see below). If I custom zoom out of the same map a couple of times, it suddenly displays fine, but when I custom zoom in again, same problem.

MENAnotworking.png

I can't replicate the issue within the desktop app, and Antarctica in the backend tables has its own region defined - so I'm not entirely sure what could be causing this issue? I am using a custom map shape which is the only thing I could think of so far which could be causing issues.

Any help/advice would be appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

you need to help Power BI by categorizing your data columns, otherwise country codes can be misinterpreted as province names and vice versa etc.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-lionel-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @bilalali87 ,

Please provide a sample location data.

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

you need to help Power BI by categorizing your data columns, otherwise country codes can be misinterpreted as province names and vice versa etc.

thanks - it appeared I'd missed this on one of the tables I was using. Fixed and now working!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors