Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Custom Order Dates Matrix

Hi, 

I am trying to sort dates chronologically on a matrix. However, as the date formats are in 'Text' format due to additional inputs by user and cannot be converted to a date format, the report matrix view keeps sorting them by Alphabetical order instead. I have tried 'Sorting by column' for the [Cycle Month] in Data view as advised by many, but it is still not being reflected in the Report view. 

This is how my matrix looks like - the months are sorted alphabetically instead of chronologically. I can't convert it to date due to additional weeks added like W2R1 

pbi1.PNG

This is how it looks like in Data view, sorted chronologically. 

pbi2.PNG

Thank u. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , Create an equivalent sort column and mark that sort column for this

say

sort date = [Date]

or

sort date =format([Date], "YYYYMMDD")  //find exact format for your need

Mark this as sort column, sort order of original column will change 

Sort Month.png

How to Create Sort Column and Solve Related Errors: https://youtu.be/KK1zu4MBb-c

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

@amitchandak thanks! realised I missed out the 'sort by column' in Report View, that's why it wasn't sorting in the matrix. 

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , Create an equivalent sort column and mark that sort column for this

say

sort date = [Date]

or

sort date =format([Date], "YYYYMMDD")  //find exact format for your need

Mark this as sort column, sort order of original column will change 

Sort Month.png

How to Create Sort Column and Solve Related Errors: https://youtu.be/KK1zu4MBb-c

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.