Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Custom Number Format Preview Different From Visual

This is driving me crazy. I simply want to display 100000 as $100K+.

I created a simple scalar measure (measure = 100000). I used the custom number format and the preview displays what I want.

db-data_0-1623772388462.png

But then, using any visual type, it does not display the custom number format like the preview:

db-data_1-1623772449629.png

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous I did the format to $#,##0"+"  and changed to auto and getting this:

parry2k_0-1623773976609.png

Check my latest blog post Comparing Selected Client With Other Top N Clients | PeryTUS  I would ❤ Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

This seems like a bug.

Using "$#,##0," returns "$100" as expected but putting text after that final comma causes problems when setting the format string for the measure whereas defining the measure as FORMAT( 100000, "$#,##0,K+" ) acts as expected.

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous I did the format to $#,##0"+"  and changed to auto and getting this:

parry2k_0-1623773976609.png

Check my latest blog post Comparing Selected Client With Other Top N Clients | PeryTUS  I would ❤ Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you - you're my hero. That solved my problem, but I think @AlexisOlson is right though that there's a bug.

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous how about auto?

Anonymous
Not applicable

db-data_0-1623773896837.png

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous on format pane, what is the display unit set to?

Anonymous
Not applicable

In the image above Display Units is set to none. Setting to thousands doesn't work either.

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous what is in the preview that you are not seeing with the actual measure?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I want 100000 shortened to $100K+ (not $100,000K+) like the preview is shortened from 123457 to $123K+

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.