Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

erinphilip
Frequent Visitor

Custom Map Labels Undefined

I am trying to create a custom shape map using TIGER/Line shape files for the Public Use Microdata Areas (PUMAs) in Texas. I successfully converted the shape files downloaded from the census website into the TopoJSON format using the Mapshaper tool as outlined here. I was also able to load the map into Power BI, but the labels when I hover over each area show up as undefined. 

PUMA Map Undefined.jpgI also spot checked the dbf version of the shape file in Excel to be sure the labels for the PUMAs align with the PUMA to County Mapping file I am pulling the location field from, and they do. 

I have pasted the relationships view below. For each table with a PUMA reference, I have changed that data category to Place. PUMA Relationships.PNG

The underlying files and pbix file are available here.

How do I get the PUMA shapes in the map to recognize the PUMA data field in the tables and label correctly? I am new to custom mapping so step-by-step explanations are appreciated!

Thanks,
Erin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @erinphilip,

Please check if you have hit this idea firstly.

If not, you could have a reference of this blog.

If you still need help, please share a dummy pbix file which can reproduce the scenario, so that we can help further investigate on it? You can upload it to OneDrive and post the link here. Do mask sensitive data before uploading.)

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Jashuva

Label getting Undefined error means Your  Shape file has no attributes for that While upload to mapshaper you need to upload all files like shp,shx,dbf,shp etc with shp file then inspect feature to get clarity weather you have labels or not then download topo json format now import to Power BI you will get all labels what you uploaded at the time of conversion remember the same data will be available in your dataset too

Jashuva

Label getting Undefined error means Your  Shape file has no attributes for that While upload to mapshaper you need to upload all files like shp,shx,dbf,shp etc with shp file then inspect feature to get clarity weather you have labels or not then download topo json format now import to Power BI you will get all labels what you uploaded at the time of conversion remember the same data will be available in your dataset too

v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @erinphilip,

Please check if you have hit this idea firstly.

If not, you could have a reference of this blog.

If you still need help, please share a dummy pbix file which can reproduce the scenario, so that we can help further investigate on it? You can upload it to OneDrive and post the link here. Do mask sensitive data before uploading.)

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks - You can see the PowerBI, JSON and Excel files here. I did see that blog earlier and followed the steps to ensure all field names match (I referenced the tl_2018_48_puma10 Excel file to read what was in the underlying shape file before converting it to the TopoJSON format). I'm still facing the same issue of the map segments reading as undefined when you hover over each PUMA.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.