Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Dalski
Regular Visitor

Custom Index Column Not Aligning As In Data View

I have a problem with the appended Table Grab Tables 11-32; which I created a custom column index # which counts the rows of all tables in sequential order.

The problem is the Index # jumps suddenly from 599 - 619; also you can see the numbering is not consecutive in the Index Column after 599 also, but I think the problem is that because in data view (table icon in left pane (2nd down in middle) is for some reason showing the Index # column on the right in Table 29 (pic'd). Whereas Table 28 (pic'd) is shown on the left (as with the other tables). So it seems a bit of a coincidence that this is the problem.

Can anyone advise what is the problem here and how to get over it?

EDIT: Sorry, forum strangely doesn't allow upload of file or image, not a great forum for seeking help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Man Indifferent Thanks for your response but you're not grasping the issue at hand, the Index column has clearly been created. The issue is in reporting (which is never going to be solved in generating the index column Smiley Surprised).

The honourable HotChilli solved my issue in this thread in a single response.

Thanks for trying.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi Dalski,

How was your index column created? Could you share the dax formula of your calculate column? In addtion, you can try RANKX() to recreate your index column and check if this issue persists.

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your response, I created the index column by simply creating an Index Column via the button > custom. Then simply numbering from the previous # of the previous table. Working my way through all of the tables; quite laborious I know but power bi doesn't accept macros and I'm not sure how to code a column. It would be much better to refer to the previous table Inex# + 1; but not sure on how to code this. I'm just about to try Rank(X); thanks for that.

Hi Dalski,

You can create a index column by simply click Index Column like below, have you tried?

Capture.PNG 

In addtion, if you have solved your issue, could you kindly mark my answer to finish this thread?

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Man Indifferent Thanks for your response but you're not grasping the issue at hand, the Index column has clearly been created. The issue is in reporting (which is never going to be solved in generating the index column Smiley Surprised).

The honourable HotChilli solved my issue in this thread in a single response.

Thanks for trying.

Dalski
Regular Visitor

Apologies, I couldn't upload pics as it was my first post, still can't upload a file though which isn't great.

Untitled-1.jpgUntitled-2.jpg

Which gives the result below:

Untitled-3.jpg

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.