Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mcmum01
Helper I
Helper I

Custom Grouping of Zip Codes

Has anyone ever built a map with custom regions? I have a list of zip codes and the Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA) that the zip code is a part of. I would like to create a heat map based on the MSA, not the zip code itself. Below is a screen shot of the map if I choose the zip codes in the Minneapolis/St. Paul MSA. What I would like is the full MSA highlighted, not the individual zip codes. This view eventually would be used to look at national level transactions and not on an MSA by MSA basis.Sample MSA.jpg

9 REPLIES 9
rkozlowski
Frequent Visitor

I'm also trying to group zip codes, is there a solution for this?

I have not seen one yet.

Stachu
Community Champion
Community Champion

may have a workaround - consider this table

MappingStateMetric
AIDAHO5
AUTAH10
BCALIFORNIA15
BNEVADA20
COREGON25
CWASHINGTON30

instead of using the Mapping column and

Measure = SUM(Table[Metric])

we use the State column and the following measure

Measure = 
VAR CurrentMapping = SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[Mapping],BLANK())
RETURN
CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Metric]),ALL('Table'[State]),'Table'[Mapping] = CurrentMapping)

which for each state gives the value of all states sharing the same mapping

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Thank you for the kudos 🙂

Can you then map the measure based on the new grouping? So, Idaho and Utah would both be shaded some color and the weighting would be 15? California and Nevada would be another color weighted at 35, etc?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Also trying to create the same Region view. Has this been solved?

skumaresh

Hi,

We're trying to do exactly the same thing - did you ever get a solution for this requirement?

Thanks!

v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @mcmum01,

I am not very clear about what you said "What I would like is the full MSA highlighted, not the individual zip codes. This view eventually would be used to look at national level transactions and not on an MSA by MSA basis.". Do you mean you want the entire MSA to be highlighted when you click one Zip code which is belong to MSA? If so, I'm afraid this is not achievable.

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Below is some sample data and zip codes grouped by MSA. I could create a heat map and map the zip codes separately. What I would like to do is map the MSA by the zip codes in the MSA and have the heat based on the 2nd table. It would be no different than looking at sales by territory, or voters by district, as those are basically custom regions. I have zip codes that I would like to put into a "region" and my regions happened to be called MSAs.

MSA Example.jpg

I want to choose the MSA and have all the zip codes in the MSA make up the boundaries. A higher level example would be to create a sales terrirory called Pacific Northwest and have 2 states in it, WA and OR. When that territory is chosen those 2 states would be highlighted and other metrics associated with that territory would contribute to heat. Ultimately, I want a visual representation of transaction based on a custom region of zip codes, which in my case is MSAs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.