Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dpc_development
Helper III
Helper III

Custom Format String based on measure value

In Excel, we can format a cell using the following style...

[>=1000000000]#,##0.00,,,"B";[>=1000000]#,##0.00,,"M";##,##0

So, if the value is below a million, it shows the full number, and for millions (Ex: 12,500,000) it will show value in millions (12.5M), etc.

I checked and the above notation does not seem to be supported in Power BI. Power BI Desktop does not allow me to type it and doing so in Tabular Editor shows the condition as a string ("[>=100000"... part)

In reality I have a custom table with a list of measures that I am showing as a drop down, and when the user selects, it plots a different measure on the chart. The values range from a few hundreds to millions. The requirement is to use a different custom format on the tooltips, based on the value.

I realise I can create a new measure and add it to the tooltip section, but my client doesn't want the measure being shown twice. I can use a custom Tooltip Report page, but I am also using Direct Query, and it is slow to load.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
OwenAuger
Super User
Super User

Hi @dpc_development 

It sounds like a Calculation Group to control your number formatting would be useful here.

With a Calculation Group, each Calculation Item has a format string specified by a DAX expression. This format string can be either a constant, or some expression that depends on the measure value itself.

In your case, you may want to consider using the Calculation Group to act as the measure selector, as you could have each Calculation Item specify both the measure and the format string.

Here's a good article on this general topic:

https://exceleratorbi.com.au/dynamic-formatting-of-switch-measures/

Calculation Groups do work with models containing DirectQuery tables, so this approach should work fine in your situation.

Regards,

Owen

Owen Auger
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
tamnm1601
Advocate I
Advocate I

I got the same issue like you and seek for a more long-term solution.

The using Calculation Group in Tabular Editor will hugely affect the implicit measures. And it is not stable, sometimes it makes the whole measures disappear without a reason (?!).

Eventually, it's a pity that MS is relying too much on 3rd party application whose free version is unstable at all, especially with huge dataset. This is saying from my own real cases. They should work on these basic features.

😞

OwenAuger
Super User
Super User

Hi @dpc_development 

It sounds like a Calculation Group to control your number formatting would be useful here.

With a Calculation Group, each Calculation Item has a format string specified by a DAX expression. This format string can be either a constant, or some expression that depends on the measure value itself.

In your case, you may want to consider using the Calculation Group to act as the measure selector, as you could have each Calculation Item specify both the measure and the format string.

Here's a good article on this general topic:

https://exceleratorbi.com.au/dynamic-formatting-of-switch-measures/

Calculation Groups do work with models containing DirectQuery tables, so this approach should work fine in your situation.

Regards,

Owen

Owen Auger
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.