Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

hgarcia
Frequent Visitor

Custom Fiscal Calendar Table with Different Days in Months

Hello Everyone, 

I am having a really hard time trying to use the time intelligence features because our fiscal calendar is not based on a month to month basis.  We have months that start in the prior month and end before the month ends. 

Ex.

Jan 12/30/2017 - 1/26/2018

Feb 1/27/2018 - 2/23/2018 

and so on.....

When i use the YTD, MTD, SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR time intelligence functions they capture the entire month. So if i want to do MTD sales for January it is pulling 1/1/2018-1/31/2018 when i need it to pull 12/30/2017 - 1/26/2018. 

I have my fiscal calendar table set up and set it as the date table and everything is good there but it will not capture the dates i need. 

How can i use the time intelligence functions on my fiscal calendar?  Is this something that cannot be done and i would have to revert to creating multiple measures (ex. for PY sales i would have to create a measure filtering out Jan) that seems a bit tedious and i am sure there is a better way to handle this. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

3 REPLIES 3
vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

@hgarcia

this guy does a lot of youtube vidoes on the topic, can't point out which one exactly, but this might be helpful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aODroF37pq0

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

Thanks for the help, this works perfectly for YTD running totals.

Still running into roadblocks on the prior year totals. 

jpt1228
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

This is a late reply, but found your post researching a similar issue. I have been able to solve the custom date calendar which is most of the problem. I too have 13 - 4 week periods consisting of 28 days per fiscal period. Once you build the fiscal year, fiscal period, then I believe you can use same time last year, fiscal period to date etc. I have created a couple custom columns in my date table that will filter visuals on current fiscal period true/false (filter visual on true to view current fisc period) and current fiscal year which will give you a fiscal YTD number if filtered on true for current fiscal period. 

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Custom-Fiscal-Period-True-False-ignoring-current-time/td-p/...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.