cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
hymieho Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Custom FORMAT to add brackets/parentheses to negative numbers ALSO shows pre-pended hyphen/dash

Below is my DAX for adding handling the formatting of numbers that will be displayed in cards. It works great, however negative numbers are being shown as -($935). Where is the hyphen/dash coming from & how do I suppress it?

Thanks!

RM (LCUR) Display = 
VAR
Total=
IF(
HASONEVALUE('Booked Order'[Region]),
SWITCH(VALUES('Booked Order'[Region]),
"NA", IF(ABS(SUM('Booked Order'[RM (LCUR)])) > 999999, FORMAT(SUM('Booked Order'[RM (LCUR)]),"$#,##0,,.00M;($#,##0,,.00M)"),
IF(ABS(SUM('Booked Order'[RM (LCUR)])) > 999, FORMAT(SUM('Booked Order'[RM (LCUR)]),"$#,##0,K;($#,##0,K)"),
FORMAT(SUM('Booked Order'[RM (LCUR)]), FORMAT(SUM('Booked Order'[RM (LCUR)]),"$#,##0;($#,##0)")
))),
"EMEA", IF(ABS(SUM('Booked Order'[RM (LCUR)])) > 999999, FORMAT(SUM('Booked Order'[RM (LCUR)]),"€#,##0,,.##M;(€#,##0,,.##M)"),
IF(ABS(SUM('Booked Order'[RM (LCUR)])) > 999, FORMAT(SUM('Booked Order'[RM (LCUR)]),"€#,##0,K;(€#,##0,K)"),
FORMAT(SUM('Booked Order'[RM (LCUR)]), FORMAT(SUM('Booked Order'[RM (LCUR)]),"€#,##0;(€#,##0)")
)))
),
)
RETURN
IF(ISBLANK(Total),0,Total)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
hymieho Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: Custom FORMAT to add brackets/parentheses to negative numbers ALSO shows pre-pended hyphen/dash

And inexplicably it is working this morning?! Makes no sense but I'm going to leave this topic up to save someone their sanity. Smiley Happy

3 REPLIES 3
Super User
Super User

Re: Custom FORMAT to add brackets/parentheses to negative numbers ALSO shows pre-pended hyphen/dash

Check out it at here:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee634206.aspx

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.
hymieho Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Right, the pattern in the documentation is what I am using to have negative numbers in brackets, and in the example there is no negative sign outside the brackets. Here is what I am getting for -935: -(€935) 

Why is the negative sign coming in when my format string for negative numbers does not say to put one?  

hymieho Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

And inexplicably it is working this morning?! Makes no sense but I'm going to leave this topic up to save someone their sanity. Smiley Happy