Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rajeshchawla
Helper I
Helper I

Custom Connector to Azure Monitor

We are working on a customer connector to Azure Monitor to allow us to pull metrics from a variety of Azure services. My understanding is that I need to:

1) Register our connector with Azure Active Directory at https://apps.dev.microsoft.com.

2) Enter client secret / id from AAD into our connector.

My questions are:

1) When I register our connector with AAD, I'm believe I need a native type to get the Oauth2 flow. Is this correct ?

2) Is the Application Secret of Password the client secret ?

3) I've seen the GitHub example for the Oauth connection for a custom data connector. Is there a sample for Azure ?

Regards,

Rajesh

3 REPLIES 3
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi Rajesh,

Though I don't know much about Azure Monitor, I'm afraid you understandings is for Power BI Embedded rather than Custom Connector. In other words, we don't need to register our connector or get client secret/id. 

1. It's Azure Monitor REST API that we need.

2. We can use the Azure account.

3. Please refer to samples/TripPin/2-Rest for how we can use REST Service in customer connector.

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Dale,

Thanks for your help so far!  I'm working with Rajesh on the Custom Connector, and while we plan to integrate Azure Monitor, we're starting with the Azure Data Factory REST API. Is the authentication flow the same for both services?

I've worked through the TripPin REST tutorial, and while I was able to access the sample data, the credentials were not valid for reaching the data factory in my Azure account. How do I set the credentials to the active Azure account?

Some context for the current code: 

1. My Azure account (used to log into Power BI and to store the target  data) is a global administrator, so permissions should not be a concern

2. I'm using the url from the Factories - List documentation page, using the subscriptionId string generated in the "Try It" interface, which was able to successfully retrieve the data through that web page

3. Both testing in Visual Studio and uploading the .mez file as a custom connector to PowerBI resulted in the same authentication error

4. In the Data Source Kind definition, the authentication type is set to Implicit, as in the TripPin tutorial

Best wishes,

Katherine

Appreciate the guidance. Looks like we were heading off into the weeds.

Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.