Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

polandoz
Frequent Visitor

Custom Connector Navigation Tables

Hello fellow PBI nerds 😊

I have created a Power BI custom connector. This one works almost perfectly. However, with large dataset it is an issue when previewing and refreshing data in Navigator. It takes a long to view the different tables I am fetching through my API call. Is there any way to prevent all tables from loading at once? 

polandoz_0-1625489404098.png

2 REPLIES 2
v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @polandoz 

First of all, I have to admit that I don't have experience in custom connectors, only some experience in Power Query. From your screenshot, the number of tables is not large, but the number of rows in preview is large. Is it possible to reduce the rows queried for preview in Navigator? Maybe you can only query top N rows for preview instead of the whole table.

Another option is to create Dynamic Navigation Tables in Navigator. I found below links that may be helpful:

100% Dynamic Navigation table with Web.Contents() - Microsoft Power BI Community

Custom Connector and Navigation Tables - Microsoft Power BI Community

Handling navigation for Power Query connectors | Microsoft Docs

Additionally, you could also seek for help at the Developer forum. Users there have more experience in developing custom connectors.

Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as the solution to help other members find it.

Thanks @v-jingzhang. Appriciate your help. I have looked into the possibility to reduce rows for preview in Navigator, but I haven't found a solution for this. Will try the Developer forum.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.