Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

vanessa
Post Patron
Post Patron

Custom Column- substring of another column

Hi,

I have a table with a column with date values in the following format:

eg. 20140119

I want to create/ add a new column which will have the following format:

2014-01-19

I tried adding a custom column, but not sure about the function to be used to get a substring.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@vanessa

In this scenario, you can change the date format without adding a column. Just split the date column to three columns and then merge them to one. Please refer to following steps:

1. In Query Editor, select the date column and click “Split Column By Number of Characters - 2”.
  2. Repeat step 1 for the separated column.
  3. Select all three columns and then right click to choose “Merge Columns” with custom separator ‘-’.

You can also click “Advance Editor” and paste below Power Query formulas into it. Then you can finish the format conversion directly. (Table1 is table name and Date is column name here)

let
    Source = Excel.Workbook(File.Contents("Your source file path"), null, true),
    Table1_Table = Source{[Item="Table1",Kind="Table"]}[Data],
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Table1_Table,{{"Date", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Split Column by Position" = Table.SplitColumn(Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Changed Type", {{"Date", type text}}, "en-US"),"Date",Splitter.SplitTextByPositions({0, 4}, false),{"Date.1", "Date.2"}),
    #"Split Column by Position1" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Split Column by Position","Date.2",Splitter.SplitTextByPositions({0, 2}, false),{"Date.2.1", "Date.2.2"}),
    #"Merged Columns" = Table.CombineColumns(#"Split Column by Position1",{"Date.1", "Date.2.1", "Date.2.2"},Combiner.CombineTextByDelimiter("-", QuoteStyle.None),"Date")
in
    #"Merged Columns"

24.jpg

Regards,

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

With all these solutions I have a question for the experts: what is more efficient to the model, to make the column on DAX or on Power Query?

Best regards,
Gabriela

kcantor
Community Champion
Community Champion

Couldn't you also just, if you wanted to have two columns, do a custom column where the new column equals the old column. Once you create the duplicate column, then convert the date type?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@vanessa

In this scenario, you can change the date format without adding a column. Just split the date column to three columns and then merge them to one. Please refer to following steps:

1. In Query Editor, select the date column and click “Split Column By Number of Characters - 2”.
  2. Repeat step 1 for the separated column.
  3. Select all three columns and then right click to choose “Merge Columns” with custom separator ‘-’.

You can also click “Advance Editor” and paste below Power Query formulas into it. Then you can finish the format conversion directly. (Table1 is table name and Date is column name here)

let
    Source = Excel.Workbook(File.Contents("Your source file path"), null, true),
    Table1_Table = Source{[Item="Table1",Kind="Table"]}[Data],
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Table1_Table,{{"Date", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Split Column by Position" = Table.SplitColumn(Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Changed Type", {{"Date", type text}}, "en-US"),"Date",Splitter.SplitTextByPositions({0, 4}, false),{"Date.1", "Date.2"}),
    #"Split Column by Position1" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Split Column by Position","Date.2",Splitter.SplitTextByPositions({0, 2}, false),{"Date.2.1", "Date.2.2"}),
    #"Merged Columns" = Table.CombineColumns(#"Split Column by Position1",{"Date.1", "Date.2.1", "Date.2.2"},Combiner.CombineTextByDelimiter("-", QuoteStyle.None),"Date")
in
    #"Merged Columns"

24.jpg

Regards,

@v-sihou-msft

The approach of splitting the column and merging worked. Thank you. 

@v-sihou-msft why go through all that when you can convert the column to a date in two steps??
/sdjensen
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@vanessa you also don't need to create custom column simple select date data type for your column and choose format under Modelling tab.

Capture.PNG

@ankitpatira

The original column is of type wholenumber. When I try changing the datatype, it throws the Arithmetic Overflow error

@ankitpatira - If you want to make this value a date you need to do it in the Query Editor and you actually have to create the M code yourself unless you have another intermediate step.

You can do it with code like this:

#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes("NameOfPreviousStep",{{"Date", type date}}),
#"Changed Type2" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Changed Type",{{"Date", type datetime}})
/sdjensen
sdjensen
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi,

You can do this as a DAX calculated column with this formula:

DateFormat = LEFT( Table1[Date], 4 ) & "-" & MID( Table1[Date], 5, 2 ) & "-" & RIGHT( Table1[Date], 2 )
/sdjensen

@sdjensen

I tried this approach, but when i try to convert the new column from text to date datatype, it throws the following error:

Error.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors