Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Adam13Hylo
Helper I
Helper I

Custom Column Query

Hi all,

Wondering if someone can help me please. I have trying to write a query so that if a column is less than 8 then this will combine a string and another column. However for some reason it is continiously showing blank.

The formula I have is: 

if [ReportingMonthNum] < 8 then "FY" & [YearNum] else ""

The reporting monht column has values ranging from 1 to 13 and the "YearNum" will show our year number for example, 15, 16 or 17 etc... I am trying to combine this with some text "FY" however my columns are continuing to show blank.

Can anyone point me as to where I am going wrong please.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

You can't concatenation text with numbers. Convert the number first.

Number.ToText([YearNum])

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

You can't concatenation text with numbers. Convert the number first.

Number.ToText([YearNum])

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

Thank you this worked, however this is ignoring double numbers for instance I have added to the query so that if th Reporting Month is greater than or equal to 8 however this does not work if the number is 10, 11, 12 etc... Might you have any ideas why please?

Sorry, I don't understand. Can you post your new formula?

Sorry Matt, 

My formula is now: 

if Number.ToText([ReportingMonthNum]) < "8" then "FY" & Number.ToText([YearNum]) else if Number.ToText([ReportingMonthNum]) >= "8" then "FY" & Number.ToText(Value.Add([YearNum], 1)) else ""

In the formula it should be that if the "ReportingMonthNum" is greater or equal to 8 then the value should be FY & the year number plus 1, this works for months 8 & 9 however it does not work for months 10, 11 or 12:

PowerBi.PNG

It appears to be ignoring numbers with anything more than two digits. 

The issue is just after your second "if". You should not be using Number.ToText for the comparator, just for the concatenation. 

Still does not work sorry, my query is now: 

if [ReportingMonthNum] < "8" then "FY" & Number.ToText([YearNum]) else if [ReportingMonthNum] >= "8" then "FY" & Number.ToText(Value.Add([YearNum], 1)) else ""

The Year Number column has a type of whole number as did the reporting month but I have changed this back to the default now.

Column ValuesColumn Values

Try changing Value.Add([yearnum],1) to simply [yearnum] + 1

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.