Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cursor Paginated data from Web API

Hi,

I am calling a web api to grab some data which is paginated and I am struggling with how to get the next page of data as it is cursor based.

When I call the api in PowerQuery (I'm connecting through a Web datasource) the Navigator returns a table with two rows, the first row that contains a table of data that I'm requesting and a second row that contains a table that contains the original url but with a cursor parameter appended to it. 

so the structure looks like this:

Original api call = https://api.myapiurl.com/v1/channel/1234/webcasts

which produces:

NameTable
webcastTable
linkTable

The link table contain the following:

hrefrel
https://api.myapiurl.com/v1/channel/1234/webcasts?cursor=6789next

I can expand the webcast row which contains the data without any problems but how do I then call the next page of data and store it with the first call and then continue until I have all the available data?

Many thanks!

22 REPLIES 22

Hi @Anonymous 

what List.Generates allows you is to reference an item from the previous row/item/instance (of your iteration).

But as you've mentioned, you haven't utilized this yet.

In the 3rd arugment you're defining a record that will by default be available for future reference. Every field in there can simply be referenced by its field name. So to reference the field "Result", you'd write [Result], as this is the lookup operator for records.

Try something like this: 

each [Result = Xml.Tables(Web.Contents( Table.LastN( [Result], 1)[Attribute:href]))

[Result] references the previous item Result filed. It seems to be a table from which you need the last row.

Table.LastN(..., 1) will return this.

[Attribute:href] as a lookup operator will retrieve the value from this exact column.

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @ImkeF ,

Thank you so much for your help with this!  I've been reading through more of the resources that you suggested and I've tweaked the code slightly so that it's hopefully a little more efficient.

First, I've created a function that accepts a URL as a string and returns the result:

(url as text) as table =>
let
    Source = Xml.Tables(Web.Contents(url))
in
    Source

Then I have written a query that invokes the function.  It executes without any errors but only returns a list with one table in it.  I tried your code but I think the Web.Contents part was causing a problem so I have removed it but I'm not sure if the syntax is going to work.  The code now  looks like this:

let
myList = List.Generate( ()=>
    [Result = try Query4("https://api.myWebService.com/v1/channel/1234/webcasts") otherwise null, Counter = 0],
    each [Result] <> null and [Counter] < 5,
    each [Result = try Query4(Xml.Tables(Table.LastN([Result],1)[Attribute.href])) otherwise null, Counter = [Counter]+1],
        each [Result])
in
    myList

Thank you once again for your help and advice!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors