Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

perpor
Helper V
Helper V

Current year vs prevous year

Hello

I have a dataset with the following 2 columns, daily data.

I am trying to add a new measure with the var of each day over the day in the previous year

many thanksvar_year.jpg

18 REPLIES 18
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @perpor,

You can try to use below formula(calculated column) to find out the previous year data. It will return blank if can't find the specific index value.

Previou = LOOKUPVALUE('Table'[Index],'Table'[Date],DATE(YEAR([Date])-1,MONTH([Date]),DAY([Date])))

7.PNG

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

thanks a lot, I have now 'sintax error' on MONTH and I trying to understand why, change the format, eccc..

solved, with my local setting I must use ';' instead of ','.

But now I have the error:  'A table of multiple values was supplied where a single value was expexted' ...

Hi @perpor,

It sounds like your table contains duplicate records. Can you please share sample pbix file to test?

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

You new measure could be:

Get Difference =

var indexPY = CALCULATE(SUM([Index]),DATEADD([data],-1,YEAR))

return ([index] - [indexPY] 

where [index] and [data] the columns of your data set. The [data] column should of 'Date' or 'Date/Time' type

thanks a lot

but I have always the error:  The syntax for 'YEAR' is incorrect, also trying with lowercase 'year'

maybe the [data] column is not seen correctly ? it comes from a sql server table defined as 'date' ...

trying a lot maybe I have understand, the syntax is not:

DATEADD(<dates>,<number_of_intervals>,<interval>)

like in the doc, but is :

DATEADD(<dates>;<number_of_intervals>;<interval>)

so it works....

with the ';'  and not with the '.'

but maybe this is not the right way, I need a value for each line of the column 'Var year', so I obtain only a total value for all the lines.......

I think that these calculations are not feasible with DAX or are too complicated, and it's best to do the calcolations before to import in Power BI ....

Hi, @perpor,

If I understand your problem, you're looking to subract last year's Index value from today's Index value. To do this:

1. change the Data Type of your date to "Date" by going to the Formatting section of the Modeling tab in Power BI Desktop.

2. use the following formula (I think):

Var year = DataTable[Index] - LOOKUPVALUE( DataTable[Index] , DataTable[data] , DATE( YEAR(DataTable[data] -1 ) , MONTH(DataTable[data] , DAY(DataTable[data]) )

note: If your region uses ";" rather than "," in the DAX syntax just replace those values in the formula above. Replace "DataTable" in the formula whatever your table is named.

thanks wwhittento for the advice, I made several attempts but without success, I continue to think that Dax is a language too complicated to be used in a context like what I need

Hi @perpor

Try this measure

=
SUM ( TableName[Index] )
    - CALCULATE (
        SUM ( TableName[Index] ),
        SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR ( VALUES ( TableName[Data] ) )
    )

Regards
Zubair

Please try my custom visuals

thanks Zubair_Muhammad, but this gives only the total of the year, I need an entire serie of data, day by day...

@perpor

Did you add it as a calculated column?

Actually i wrote a MEASURE

Regards
Zubair

Please try my custom visuals

with New Measure I obtain a single value, with New Column, a series of data..

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've always used a ',' and it worked for me:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee634905.aspx

Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you have dates that are not appropriate? Try sorting your column to see min and max values. There might be something not correct there. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.