Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Current vs Previous value, not dependent on base value

Hi,

I'm wondering if there's a way for me to have a chart displaying one value over time, with a bar below showing the difference between the current and previous value, BUT i want to be able to change the base value between different values?

Let's say I have 15 different sets of values that I want to present this way, so instead of me making 15 different calculated measures, one for each value, I wonder if there's some sort of way for me to make a column/measure or something that does what I'm after? And then I can just click and change between the values that I want.

The only constant are the time values. 

Hope this made any sense and thanks for any help.

To clarify: Ability to switch between different values to present both line for values and bars for increase or decrease of the value. 

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous

I gave you some erroneous code previously (I hadn't tested it - i was making extrapolations from other similar work I've done, but I had some false assumptions).

Points 1-3 in the above reply still hold - please review them.  However, now we need to modify the measures.

For transparency, we'll use 3 measures. I'll talk about where they can be combined afterwards

TodaysValue= 
    SWITCH(
        [MType];
        "BJ-HÖ1"; AVERAGE(Blad1[BJ-HÖ1]);
        "BJ-MÄ"; AVERAGE(Blad1[BJ-MÄ]);
        "BJ-TS1"; AVERAGE(Blad1[BJ-TS1]);
        etc
    )

PrevDayValue = CALCULATE([TodaysValue]; PREVIOUSDAY(DateTimeTab[Date]))

Measure Delta = [TodaysValue] - [PrevDayValue]

The mistake was thinking we could store some of the complex code in variables and use the code again further down in the measure.  I think we can really only have a minimum of 2 measures, unless you want to replicate a lot of code:

TodaysValue= 
    SWITCH(
        [MType];
        etc
    )

Measure Delta = 
//NOTE That variables are not needed here - just showing for illustrative purposes VAR __Todaysvalue = [TodaysValue]
VAR __PrevValue = CALCULATE([TodaysValue], PREVIOUSDAY(DateTimeTab[Date]) RETURN __Todaysvalue - __PrevValue

//You could do the following without any variables and get the same results
//Measure Delta = [TodaysValue] - CALCULATE([TodaysValue], PREVIOUSDAY(DateTimeTab[Date])

Hope this finally gets you to where you need to be.  Sorry for the earlier confusion.

David

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24
dedelman_clng
Community Champion
Community Champion

If I understand your issue correctly, try this pattern:

Slicer/button to choose your value

MType = SELECTEDVALUE(Slicer[Field])

Measure for bar or line

Bar/Line Value = 
SWITCH (
    [MType],
    "Value1", [Measure 1],
    "Value2", [Measure 2],
)

Hope this helps

David

Anonymous
Not applicable

Spoiler

@dedelman_clng wrote:

If I understand your issue correctly, try this pattern:

Measure for bar or line

Bar/Line Value = 
SWITCH (
    [MType],
    "Value1", [Measure 1],
    "Value2", [Measure 2],
)

Hope this helps

David

Thank you, that will for sure help me with one part of my problem, but I'm still unsure as how to get the value difference working? 

You can make [Measure 1], [Measure 2], etc as complex as you want to or need to.  Getting a "previous" value is going to depend on what you mean by previous.  Can you give some sample data and expected results?

Also, see this post on how to get the most out of the forums and get your question answered quickly:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the reply,

Here's a screen grab of a table displaying en example of the values. What I would like to do is have the value of june 23 - value of june 22, value of june 22 - value of june 21 etc etc.  This is so that I can hopefully make it so that if the difference between two dates is more than x that bar should be red or something. 

The second image is an example of what I mean. 

Thank you so much for the help, I'm still pretty new to PowerBI

scrnshot1.PNGtjosanhoppasn.PNG

For the daily difference, you'll want something along these lines

Previous Day HE-TS = 
CALCULATE ( [Average of HE-TS], PREVIOUSDAY(DateTab[Date])

Day Delta = [Average of HE-TS] - [Previous Day HE-TS]

DateTab[Date] should be the name of your calendar/date table. 

Hope this helps

David

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you,

But is there any way to make it not dependen on the value? If that makes sense. 

So that I can change between the different value sets without changing or making new of these codes for every value? I typed and example of what I mean, don't know if there's any way to make it like that... hope you understand how I mean.

Previous Day HE-TS = 
  CALCULATE ( [Average of HE-TS], PREVIOUSDAY(DateTab[Date])

Previous Day BJ-TS1 = 
  CALCULATE ( [Average of BJ-TS1], PREVIOUSDAY(DateTab[Date])

Example:
CALCULATE ( [Average of SELECTEDVALUE], PREVIOUSDAY(DateTab[Date])

kjhjkkhj.PNG

Thanks 

Combining my first answer with my second answer, you would want to do something like this:

Delta based on selected type

Measure Delta = 
var __SelectedMeasure = SWITCH ( [MType], "Value1", [Measure 1], "Value2", [Measure 2], ...)

var __PDMeasure = CALCULATE(__SelectedMeasure, PREVIOUSDAY(DateTab[Date))

RETURN __SelectedMeasure - __PDMeasure

Hope this helps

David

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

So I'm having some troubles with this, when I try to create the first measue (MType = etc) I can't add this to my slicer, and I also seem to not be able to add all the values I want to the slicer, I can only add one of them. So instead of me having the 15 values in a list I can only have one and filter by it's values. Instead of only filtering based on the set of values, if that makes sense. 

Could this have something to do with the structure of the data? It's all imported from one excel table. 

blkjlkjg.PNG

Thank you again

Yes, it has a little to do with the data structure.  You will need to create another table with a single column and the values that you want shown in your slicer (often "Enter Data" is the way to do this).  Once you have that table, create MType against that table.

type.png

2018-12-17 07_36_54-new scratchpad - Power BI Desktop.pngdata.png

MType = SELECTEDVALUE(SaleType[Type])

TotAmt =
SWITCH (
    [MType],
    "Customer", SUM ( SalesTab[Customer] ),
    "Invoice", SUM ( SalesTab[Invoice] ),
    "Sale Amount", SUM ( SalesTab[Sale Amount] )
)

Customer.pngInvoice.pngSale Amount.png

Hope this makes sense.

David

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much for the help! 

The Slicer is working now! 

When I try to do the comparison that was mentioned earlier I get an error for this part:

Measure Delta = var __SelectedMeasure = 
SWITCH (
[MType];
"bla bla"; AVERAGE(Table[Value]);
etc etc
and then the error here (underlined):
var __PDMeasure = CALCULATE((__SelectedMeasure; PREVIOUSDAY(Blad1[Tid])) RETURN __SelectedMeasure - __PDMeasure;

This Measure is made inside the table containing the values and time.

The MType measure is inside the second table 

MType = SELECTEDVALUE(SelectValue[ValueSelect]) 

The syntax for 'RETURN' is incorrect. (DAX(var __SelectedMeasure = SWITCH( [MType], "BJ-HÖ1 etc etc...

Without seeing the entire code, it's hard to tell.  Likely an extra ) somewhere in the SWITCH statement.  Or it could be the ; at the end of RETURN.  Can you post the entire measure code (you can replace the slicer values with XXX if need be as the actual values should be immaterial) ?

Also, doublecheck that it's a measure not a calculated column.

Anonymous
Not applicable

It was indeend an extra paranthesis... but I only get a "0" returned as a resulst in the graphs

Measure Delta = var __SelectedMeasure = 
    SWITCH(
        [MType];
        etc
    )
    var __PDMeasure = CALCULATE(__SelectedMeasure; PREVIOUSDAY(Blad1[Tid]))

RETURN __SelectedMeasure - __PDMeasure

I then have measure called Disp that is the same as the code above without the vars and Return, så just the switch between the values.

In the second table i have:

MType = SELECTEDVALUE(SelectValue[ValueSelect]) 

and the column with the names of the different value "categories" (as seen in the code, BJ-HÖ1 etc)

The Slicer is coupled with this table column (Called ValueSelect) and properly changes the displayed values in my chart. 

So maybe I missunderstood something regarding where to put the calucation vars? 

"The Slicer is coupled with this table column (Called ValueSelect) and properly changes the displayed values in my chart. "

If by "coupled" you mean "having a relationship in the model", you do not want the slicer value table to have a relationship with the fact table.  The slicer table is independent of anything else so it doesn't introduce any extra filters.

It shouldn't matter where the measures live, but best practice would be to put it either on the fact table (Blad1) or in a separate Measures table.

One other thing I notice is that you are using PREVIOUSDAY() on the date field that is on the fact table.  PREVIOUSDAY() (and most of time intellegence functions) should be done against a Date table that has a 1-to-many relationship to the fact table.  CALENDARAUTO() is the quickest way to make a Date table if you don't already have one.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the speedy replies 🙂 

Maybe coupled was a poor choice of words, I meant that it is selected in the slicer, 

Select.PNG

So if I understood right, I made a new table using calendarauto and gave it a 1 - * relationship with the table containing my "original" time column and the values. 

kardinalitet.PNG

but when I use this new tables date column I get a blank image on my chart? The Original time still works. 

Is Blad1[Tid] meant to be a time value or a date+time value or something else?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Date and time, YYYY-MM-DD HH-MM:SS every value is from 02:00:00

At this point I don't know if I can go further without seeing a copy of your actual PBIX file.  If you can remove or mask sensitive data and put it on a sharing site, I can get a copy and see what is going on.

Alternatively, with a sample of data and a view of the model I may be able to reconstruct it without the need for you to send the entire thing.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, 

Thank you for your continued help, 

I made a version with new names, I've uploaded the file to dropbox: PBIX file

Thanks

Hi @Anonymous - 

Several observations on the fiel you sent:

1) The data prior to 1-Jul-2017 is all blank.  You may want to look at filtering that out in the query. Also, many, many rows have a blank Date value

2) When creating any visuals (while doing Time Intelligence functions), use the date field from your calendar, not from the fact table.

3) That being said, the Date field in your fact table (Blad1) has 2:00 AM for all values.  CALENDARAUTO() defaults to 12:00 AM for all dates, therefore even though you have created a relationship, there are no records that match between DateTimeTable and Blad1.  You have two options here - strip off the time value from Blad1 (in which case it will default to 12;00 AM) or create the calendar in a different manner (I would lean heavily towards the first option).

All of the above being said, I am frankly stumped as to why the code is not working.  I can get it working by creating a separate measure for the previous day value, and then a 3rd measure that is the difference between the today measure and previous day measure.  But I can't get the simple subtraction working inside a single measure with variables.  I will need to do some more digging.

Hi @Anonymous

I gave you some erroneous code previously (I hadn't tested it - i was making extrapolations from other similar work I've done, but I had some false assumptions).

Points 1-3 in the above reply still hold - please review them.  However, now we need to modify the measures.

For transparency, we'll use 3 measures. I'll talk about where they can be combined afterwards

TodaysValue= 
    SWITCH(
        [MType];
        etc
    )

PrevDayValue = CALCULATE([TodaysValue]; PREVIOUSDAY(DateTimeTab[Date]))

Measure Delta = [TodaysValue] - [PrevDayValue]

The mistake was thinking we could store some of the complex code in variables and use the code again further down in the measure.  I think we can really only have a minimum of 2 measures, unless you want to replicate a lot of code:

TodaysValue= 
    SWITCH(
        [MType];
        etc
    )

Measure Delta = 
//NOTE That variables are not needed here - just showing for illustrative purposes VAR __Todaysvalue = [TodaysValue]
VAR __PrevValue = CALCULATE([TodaysValue], PREVIOUSDAY(DateTimeTab[Date]) RETURN __Todaysvalue - __PrevValue

//You could do the following without any variables and get the same results
//Measure Delta = [TodaysValue] - CALCULATE([TodaysValue], PREVIOUSDAY(DateTimeTab[Date])

Hope this finally gets you to where you need to be.  Sorry for the earlier confusion.

David

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.