Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

n5722
Helper I
Helper I

Current vs Previous Quarter in a transition year

Hello,

I made a custom measure that compares the current quarter to the previous quarter based on my selection on the bar chart. Meaning if I select Q2 2021 it will calculate the difference % vs Q1 2021.

The problem that I am facing now is that when I select Q1 2021 it does not compare it to Q4 2020 (see pic below).

Screenshot 2021-09-10 at 11.37.00.png

Here is the DAX code of my custom measure:

Screenshot 2021-09-10 at 11.38.17.png

Here is the plane code:

TotalSalesDiff% (selected vs prev quarter) = 
VAR SelectedQ = 
    SELECTEDVALUE('Date helper (create date)'[Date].[QuarterNo])
VAR SelectedYear = SELECTEDVALUE('Date helper (create date)'[Year])
VAR TotalSalesSelectedQ = 
    CALCULATE([TotalSales], FILTER(ALL('Date helper (create date)'), 'Date helper (create date)'[Year] = SelectedYear
     && 'Date helper (create date)'[Date].[QuarterNo] = SelectedQ))
VAR TotalSalesPrevQ = 
    CALCULATE([TotalSales], FILTER(ALL('Date helper (create date)'), 'Date helper (create date)'[Year] = SelectedYear
     && 'Date helper (create date)'[Date].[QuarterNo] = SelectedQ - 1))

RETURN
DIVIDE((TotalSalesSelectedQ-TotalSalesPrevQ),TotalSalesSelectedQ,0)+0

Side note: I use a date helper table that calculates relative time (weeks, months, years etc.)

Could someone tell me how to improve my measure so that I can get the expected result? Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@n5722 , if you have dates, You can use time intelligence

QTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESQTD(('Date'[Date])))
Last QTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESQTD(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,QUARTER)))

if you do not have , You need to a separate table for Qtr Year (a date table at the higher level  )

Create a rank column on Qtr start date or Year Qtr YYYYQ

Qtr Rank = RANKX(all('Date'),'Date'[Year Qtr],,ASC,Dense)

then create measures like
This Qtr = CALCULATE(sum('Table'[Qty]), FILTER(ALL('Date'),'Date'[Qtr Rank]=max('Date'[Qtr Rank])))
Last Qtr = CALCULATE(sum('Table'[Qty]), FILTER(ALL('Date'),'Date'[Qtr Rank]=max('Date'[Qtr Rank])-1))

Power BI — Qtr on Qtr with or Without Time Intelligence
https://medium.com/@amitchandak.1978/power-bi-qtd-questions-time-intelligence-2-5-d842063da839
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-TlVx7P0A0

Hi @amitchandak . Thank you for your reply but this does not fix my problem. I am not trying to calculate QTD sales, I am trying to calculate the difference between the currently selected month and the month before it.

My measure works great if the calculation is taking place within the year but when I select Q1 2021 it does not calculate the difference vs Q4 of 2020 as it stays in the context of 2021.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.