Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

avulasandeep
Helper III
Helper III

Current Month , Previous Month and Before Previous Month

HI  PBI Experts ,

Here is my question for you in dax ,

i want to know the sales of the "current month", "last month", "last before month sales"  by using the Dax. 

i am using previousmonth dax function  and i want to know for  current month  , before previous month dax function.

currnt month prv month .jpg 

will give kudos

Advance Thanks,

Thanks 

sandeep

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @avulasandeep,

If you only want to calculate the sales of "current month", "last month", "last before month sales"  by using the Dax, you could try the formula below.

current_month_sales = CALCULATE(SUM('Table1'[Sales]),FILTER('Table1',MONTH('Table1'[Month])=MONTH(TODAY())))

last_month_sales = var current_month= MONTH(TODAY()) return  CALCULATE(SUM('Table1'[Sales]),FILTER('Table1',MONTH('Table1'[Month])=current_month -1))

last before_month_sales = var current_month= MONTH(TODAY()) return  CALCULATE(SUM('Table1'[Sales]),FILTER('Table1',MONTH('Table1'[Month])=current_month -2))

Here is the output.

Capture.PNG

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27
umutkoyun
Frequent Visitor

this is a very good example for such cases... I have implemented it and using it...

Custom Range Date Slicer in Power BI 

Anonymous
Not applicable

CALCULATE(SUM('Orders Combined'[LDS]),
FILTER('Calendar',MONTH('Calendar'[Date]) = MONTH(TODAY())-1),
FILTER('Calendar',YEAR('Calendar'[Date]) = IF(MONTH(TODAY())= 1,YEAR(TODAY())-1,YEAR(TODAY()))))

This may be another option
SpaceCat42
Regular Visitor

This works....

• Current Month Value = CALCULATE(SUM(Table1[Value]),MONTH(Table1[Originated])=MONTH(TODAY()))

This does not... Know why is does this? 

• previous month = var current_month = MONTH(TODAY())
    return CALCULATE(SUM('Table1'[Value]),FILTER('Table1',MONTH('Table1'[Originated])=current_month-1))
    Demo.JPG
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @avulasandeep,

If you only want to calculate the sales of "current month", "last month", "last before month sales"  by using the Dax, you could try the formula below.

current_month_sales = CALCULATE(SUM('Table1'[Sales]),FILTER('Table1',MONTH('Table1'[Month])=MONTH(TODAY())))

last_month_sales = var current_month= MONTH(TODAY()) return  CALCULATE(SUM('Table1'[Sales]),FILTER('Table1',MONTH('Table1'[Month])=current_month -1))

last before_month_sales = var current_month= MONTH(TODAY()) return  CALCULATE(SUM('Table1'[Sales]),FILTER('Table1',MONTH('Table1'[Month])=current_month -2))

Here is the output.

Capture.PNG

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks a lot, this works like magic. Though I need a small help further. I have more than 1 year's data in the query. So the current_month-1 picks all months that are falling into this. E.g. Month(Today()) returns 9 for September, then the formula picks "8" which is August of 2022, 2021 both in my case. Any ideas on how to tackle this?

Thanks

Sangeeta

Add another var current_year = YEAR(TODAY()) and then add an additional filter in CALCULATE

-- FILTER('Data',YEAR(Data[Date Created])=current_year))

I have same problem ... please help

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks guys,

I have a similar issue. How I can accomplish the cumulative SUM of ALL previous months and to dynamically show this SUM as of current month? 

will this work if the month is january ? (with several decembers for each year in the data)

Hi, would like to ask what is the right syntax if you have a slicer for date, and the analysis will automatically show output based on the date/month selected?

Example if you choose april 2022 in the slicer and then the output should be March 2022 (last month) and Feb 2022 (last 2 months)

thank you!

Right, for me and what I was trying to do was to identify with a 1-Yes, 0-No what the is current month on my calendar table and MONTH(TODAY() -1 was not taking into account the year when rolling into the new year so I used the below.

IF(
STARTOFMONTH('DimCalendar'[Date]) = DATE(YEAR(TODAY()), MONTH(TODAY()),1),
"Yes",
"No"
)

Hi.. Can everyone help me how i can do powerbi for previous month based on data given.

Thank you.

mohdzaidi85_0-1644304992451.png

Is your Month field a date and this is the formatting (January-21)?  If so you can reference that field using the PREVIOUSMONTH(DateTime'[DateKey]) if you just want the previous month date.  If you are looking to get the "Amount(s) RM" from previous month then use = CALCULATE(SUM(yourtablename[Amount(s) RM]), PREVIOUSMONTH(yourtablename[Month]))

Hi Fo88er,

what do means youtablename ... Sales Detail ?

mohdzaidi85_0-1644371251303.png

Thanks.

How do you handle last month sales for Dec 2021 when we are in Jan 2022? I am trying to find a good is last month logic that take into account when we roll into a new year. The below works if in current year (multiple years of dates in the dataset)

IsPreviousMonth =
IF(
YEAR ('Fact1Staff Consolidated GP - No Hours'[1Staff Transaction Date.TRX Dates]) = YEAR ( TODAY () )
&& MONTH ('Fact1Staff Consolidated GP - No Hours'[1Staff Transaction Date.TRX Dates]) = MONTH ( TODAY () ) -1,
)

I have the same problem as you mentioned with the new year.
It's not clear how you wanna integrate: 

IsPreviousMonth =
IF(
YEAR ('Fact1Staff Consolidated GP - No Hours'[1Staff Transaction Date.TRX Dates]) = YEAR ( TODAY () )
&& MONTH ('Fact1Staff Consolidated GP - No Hours'[1Staff Transaction Date.TRX Dates]) = MONTH ( TODAY () ) -1,
)
Do you finally found a good solution ?

Yes, I used this

IF(
STARTOFMONTH('DimCalendar'[Date]) = DATE(YEAR(TODAY()), MONTH(TODAY()),1),
"Yes",
"No"
)

Try this:  

Measure = 
VAR _index = 0
VAR _StartMonth = DATE( YEAR( TODAY() ), MONTH( TODAY() ) - _index , 1)
VAR _StartNextMonth = EOMONTH( _StartMonth, 0) + 1
VAR _Amount = CALCULATE( [Sales], Calendar[Date] >= _StartMonth, Calendar[Date] < _StartNextMonth)
RETURN _Amount

For each of the three measures you are trying to make, you just change the _index:

• Current Month: _index = 0
  • Last Month: _index = 1
  • Last Before Month: _index = 2

and so on... You can apply for how many months before or after you want. Hope I helped.

Seya!

I cannot understand why the LM value does not appear in the yellow cell when I apply the external filter. Can anyone help me? I already appreciate any help please.

I enclose the data file for you to analyze.

File: https://www.dropbox.com/s/c8plvgfrotm1kqr/Dados.xlsx?dl=0 

Messure LM mistack.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much, this helped me solve my issue as well!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.