Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
imranamikhan
Helper V
Helper V

Cumulative total of a measure

Hi everyone,

I am struggling to identify a solution to a common problem resolved in the forums. Out of ignorance I have blindly attempted multiple suggestions but I have not been successful.

I have 2 measures. 

1.  The below measure returns whatever the selected value is from a slicer

Selected Project = SELECTEDVALUE('Programme Financials Unpivot'[Project No.], BLANK())

2. The below measure sums a column by multiple conditions.  The measure above is also used as part of a condition.

Total = CALCULATE(

SUM('Programme Financials Unpivot'[Value]),

FILTER(

'Programme Financials Unpivot',

'Programme Financials Unpivot'[Attribute] = MIN(Period_Table[Attribute]) && 'Programme Financials Unpivot'[Period Snapshot] = 12 && 'Programme Financials Unpivot'[Project No.] = [Selected Project]

)

)

I now want to create a cumulative/running total of the Total measure. 

Could you anyone please advise? The solutions I use often return the same result as the Total measure.

example.PNG

regards,

Amik

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
imranamikhan
Helper V
Helper V

Resolved. I removed the custom table and created an index in the source table ("Programme Financials Unpivot"), then followed the suggestions below

https://www.daxpatterns.com/cumulative-total/

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
imranamikhan
Helper V
Helper V

Resolved. I removed the custom table and created an index in the source table ("Programme Financials Unpivot"), then followed the suggestions below

https://www.daxpatterns.com/cumulative-total/

View solution in original post

imranamikhan
Helper V
Helper V

Hi @themistoklis thanks for the suggestion.

I do not want to apply a cumulative/running total measure using the "Programme Financials Unpivot" table as the source. I am actually trying to apply this measure to the Total measure in the table I displayed above.

This table is a custom table. The values returned by the Total measure are derived from "Programme Financials Unpivot" table using a number of conditions.

Do you know if this a way to apply a running total/cumulative to this table?

best regards,

Amik

Hi everyone - any ideas on this one?

themistoklis
Super User II
Super User II

@imranamikhan 

Can you try the following:

Running Total =
CALCULATE ( [Total] ,
ALL ( 'Programme Financials Unpivot' ),
'Programme Financials Unpivot'[Index] <= EARLIER ( 'Programme Financials Unpivot'[Index] )
)

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI User Groups

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group!

MBAS on Demand

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

July 2021 Update 768x460.png

Check it out!

Click here to read more about the July 2021 Updates

Power Query PA Forum 768x460.png

Check it out!

Did you know that you can visit the Power Query Forum in Power BI and now Power Apps

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors