Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Paulzz
Regular Visitor

Cumulative sum pattern

I've attempted to follow the Ferrari / Russo DAX pattern for cumulative sum, where they suggest (based on their own sample data):

Cumulative Quantity = IF(MIN('Date'[Date]) <= CALCULATE(MAX(Transactions[Date]), ALL (Transactions)),
CALCULATE(SUM(Transactions[Quantity]), FILTER(ALL('Date'[Date]), 'Date'[Date] <= MAX('Date'[Date] ))))

The problem is that, when you use a slicer from the Date table (after joining it to Transactions) to filter a matrix visualisation down to 2013 only, the Cumulative Quantity measure is bringing through the SUM(Transactions[Quantity]) for all of the previous year and adding the 2012 amount to Jan 2013.  This is shown in the two images below, showing before and after filtering.  How can I change the above DAX so that Jan 2013 will show 3 for the Cumulative Quantity measure, rather than 5 (carrying on the 2012 total)?  I need a way for the cumulative measure to effectively start from what is sliced, not the whole Date table.  I've tried ALLSELECTED and other things -- I've got a feeling there's a second FILTER statement you could add to the second CALCULATE to do it, but I've had no luck so far.

Pre filter.PNGPost filter.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@MFelix

ALLSELECTED shall work. Try

Cumulative Quantity = 
IF (
    MIN ( 'Date'[Date] )
        <= CALCULATE ( MAX ( Transactions[Date] ), ALLSELECTED ( Transactions ) ),
    CALCULATE (
        SUM ( Transactions[Quantity] ),
        FILTER ( ALLSELECTED ( 'Date' ), 'Date'[Date] <= MAX ( 'Date'[Date] ) )
    )
)

Capture.PNG

Check a demo in the attached pbix.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@MFelix

ALLSELECTED shall work. Try

Cumulative Quantity = 
IF (
    MIN ( 'Date'[Date] )
        <= CALCULATE ( MAX ( Transactions[Date] ), ALLSELECTED ( Transactions ) ),
    CALCULATE (
        SUM ( Transactions[Quantity] ),
        FILTER ( ALLSELECTED ( 'Date' ), 'Date'[Date] <= MAX ( 'Date'[Date] ) )
    )
)

Capture.PNG

Check a demo in the attached pbix.

Thanks for the quick response on that; my problem was omitting ALLSELECTED from the first part of the formula before the 2nd CALCULATE.  Nice work.

MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @Paulzz,

Try to use ALLSELECTED (Transactions) instead pf ALL (Transactions) i'm not abble to test this right now but should filter your table only for the selected period.

Regards,
MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.