Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Hyperchef1969
Helper V
Helper V

Cumulative sum of multiple groups

Hi,

I am trying to calculate the cumulative sum per PERIOD_NAME and the sumulative sum per MFG_ORDER_NAME and PERIOD_NAME. Data I have is MFG_ORDER_NAME, PERIOD_NAME and TOTAL_COSTS_PER_JOB_IN_PERIOD. See table. The last column is the value I want to calculate if the cumulative costs per MFG_ORDER_NAME are calculated per period.

Can anyone advise which DAX formula(s) this can solve?

Thanks in advance.

Microsoft Excel - OHW_data.png

4 REPLIES 4
AnnaSA
Helper I
Helper I

Hi @Hyperchef1969 

Hope you are doing well.

I am struggling with a similar problem. Just wanted to find out if you've maybe managed to solve it?

Kind regards

v-danhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Hyperchef1969,

Based on my test, you could refer to below steps:

Add index column for your data in query editor:

1.PNG

And create below calculated column:

Cumulative sum = CALCULATE(SUM(Table1[Value]),FILTER('Table1','Table1'[Index]<=EARLIER(Table1[Index])&&'Table1'[MFG_ORDER_NAME]=EARLIER(Table1[MFG_ORDER_NAME])))

Result:

1.PNG

You could also download the pbix file to have a view.

Regards,

Daniel He

Community Support Team _ Daniel He
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi,

Unfortunatel I  a working in DirectQuery mode, so insert an index is not supported within direct query.

However I managed to calculate the **bleep**.costs per MFG_ORDER_NAME by following calculation (Period_CHAR recalculated to a date field called PERIOD_MID_DATE)

CUM_COSTS = CALCULATE(SUM(XXBI_WIP_PERIOD_BALANCE_TOT_V[TOTAL_COSTS_PER_JOB_IN_PERIOD]),FILTER(ALLEXCEPT(XXBI_WIP_PERIOD_BALANCE_TOT_V,XXBI_WIP_PERIOD_BALANCE_TOT_V[MFG_ORDER_NAME]),XXBI_WIP_PERIOD_BALANCE_TOT_V[PERIOD_MID_DATE]<=MAX(XXBI_WIP_PERIOD_BALANCE_TOT_V[PERIOD_MID_DATE])))

Printscreen of solution:

OHW_PowerBI - Power BI Desktop_2019-01-31_15-41-29.png

Question is the following: When I visualize the total costs of PERIOD_NAME_CHAR, so MFG_ORDER_NAME is not included, the total does not match. Total for December 2018 should be 7789542 (export from Power BI to excel - second printscreen below) while total is represented in Power BI as 8321509. See first printscreen. Why is there a difference and how to solve this?

OHW_PowerBI - Power BI Desktop_2019-01-31_16-06-38.png

Microsoft Excel - OHW.png

Hi, can someone help please!!! Let me know if something is not clear.

Thanks in advance

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.