Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Oomsen
Helper III
Helper III

Cumulative sum of a measure

This is my measure Cashflow forecast = CALCULATE(SUM(Beginbalans[Periode beginsaldo]) + [Liquide middelen] + SUM('Debiteuren'[Bedrag]) + SUM('Crediteuren'[Bedrag])) I would like to have the cumulative per month. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ah... there is your problem. What you're trying to do is calculated a running total. 
Now in your example, there is a row context. So for every row you're doint the calculation. What you should do, is create the a total till the current rowcontext. 

A running total is explained here at the DAX patterns site. 

Query should look like this: 

MeasureName = 
CALCULATE (
    [YourMeasure];
    FILTER (
        ALL ( datetable[date] );
       datetable[date] <= MAX ( datetable[date] )
    )
)

I've also created an example file for you which you can download here. 

Hope this works for you. 
- Marc

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Why are you using Calculate in this case? You aren't applying any filter context. 

Regarding your question. Add this measure to a column chart with the months on your x-axis... This should work, in case this results in the same value for every month, check your relationships in your model and your DAX measures. Your referencing other measures like [Liquide midellen] which might impact the filter context of your measure. 

- Marc

I thougt Calculate wass neccesary. Now i see it doesn't. But the result of sum is the amount per month and not the cumulative per month. this is my result:

Openingbalans      Cashchanges      Receivables     Payables   Cashflow

Jan           362441,14              -94613,17           0                     0                267827,97

Feb           0                            -271768,02         0                     0                -271768,02

What i want to see is 267827,97 - 271768.,02 = -3940,05

Ah... there is your problem. What you're trying to do is calculated a running total. 
Now in your example, there is a row context. So for every row you're doint the calculation. What you should do, is create the a total till the current rowcontext. 

A running total is explained here at the DAX patterns site. 

Query should look like this: 

MeasureName = 
CALCULATE (
    [YourMeasure];
    FILTER (
        ALL ( datetable[date] );
       datetable[date] <= MAX ( datetable[date] )
    )
)

I've also created an example file for you which you can download here. 

Hope this works for you. 
- Marc

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.