Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cumulative distinct count with different period depending on month

Hi guys,

After searching for long time, I didn't find a solution for a requirement so I will appreciate if someone could help me

I would like to get the cumulative count of invoice per hierarchy Year/Month with some conditions.

The users could filter on only one year and one month, if none of filters are selected, we take today()

Condition : we have a date selected dd/mm/YYYY, the period to use is the last 1/10 to the last day of the last month of this date.

example : if the date selected is from 1/11/2020 to 31/12/2020, I have to count from 1/10/2020 to 31/10/2020 (if we are in novembre ) or 30/11/2020 (if we are in december)

if the date is dd/04/2021, I have to count from 1/10/2020 to 31/03/2021

if the date is dd/10/2021, I have to count from 1/10/2020 to 30/09/2021

I have Invoice table with a column Invoice Date.

I created a Date tab =

ADDCOLUMNS(

calendar(min(Invoice[Invoice Date]), today()), 

"MonthNum", MONTH([Date]),
"Month", FORMAT([Date], "MMMM"),

"Year", YEAR([Date])
)

Then, I created a relationship to link these 2 tables

I tried many formula and this one is best I could make :

calcul cumul = 
var month_selected = SELECTEDVALUE('Date'[MonthNum])
var year_selected = SELECTEDVALUE('Date'[Year])
var to_count= DISTINCTCOUNT(Invoice[N° invoice]

// if none filter, use today()
var x= IF(OR(ISBLANK(year_selected),ISBLANK(month_selected)),TODAY(),DATE(year_selected,month_selected,1))

//if the month of date selected is either november or december, use this var 
var nov_dec = CALCULATE(to_count,FILTER(ALL(Invoice[Invoice Date]),Invoice[Invoice Date]>=DATE(YEAR(x),10,1) && Invoice[Invoice Date]<=DATE(YEAR(x),MONTH(x)-1,DAY(EOMONTH(x,-1)))))

//if the month of date selected is january, use this var
var jan= CALCULATE(to_count),FILTER(ALL(Invoice[Invoice Date]),Invoice[Invoice Date]>=DATE(YEAR(x)-1,10,1) && Invoice[Invoice Date]<=DATE(YEAR(x)-1,12,31)))

//if the month of date selected is from february to october, use this var
var feb_to_oct= CALCULATE(to_count),FILTER(ALL(Invoice[Invoice Date]),Invoice[Invoice Date]>=DATE(YEAR(x)-1,10,1) && Invoice[Invoice Date]<= DATE(YEAR(x),MONTH(x)-1,DAY(EOMONTH(x,-1)))))

var result = IF(MONTH(x)=11 || MONTH(x)=12,nov_dec,IF(MONTH(x)=1,jan,feb_to_oct))

return result 

Here is an example of result that I would like to get

trungnguyen0000_0-1632096148913.png

And can you tell me which hierarchy of date that I should use to display the result ? Invoice[Invoice Date] or Date[Date] ?

How could I do to get the result change only if both filter of year and of month are used ?

I hope that my explaination is clear.

Thank you very much in advance !

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

Try these measures

to_count= DISTINCTCOUNT(Invoice[N° invoice]

YTD to_count = calculate([to_count],datesytd(calendar[date],"30/9"))

If your Calendar date goes only uptil today's date, then this is all that you should need.  Just ensure that your slicers are built from the Calendar Table.  So your Calendar Table should have columns for Financial Year, Month Name and Month number.  Ensure that your sort the Month name by the Month number.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

Try these measures

to_count= DISTINCTCOUNT(Invoice[N° invoice]

YTD to_count = calculate([to_count],datesytd(calendar[date],"30/9"))

If your Calendar date goes only uptil today's date, then this is all that you should need.  Just ensure that your slicers are built from the Calendar Table.  So your Calendar Table should have columns for Financial Year, Month Name and Month number.  Ensure that your sort the Month name by the Month number.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.