Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cumulative count based on open and closed date

I have data that represents tickets in a support system, for the sake of simplicity consider 4 columns, ID, Date Opened, Date Closed, Status.

What I'm trying to achieve is to have a table that shows:

1. Tickets opened per month
2. Tickets closed per month
3. Cumulative tickets open by month
4. Cumulative tickets closed by month

any help or suggestions greatly appreciated, I could do this easily in Excel but I'm relatively new to BI / Dax.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous ,

1. Create the yr column:
YO= Year([DateOpened])
YC= Year([DateClosed])

2. Measures as listed :

Tickets opened by year = CALCULATE(SUMX(Table1,DISTINCTCOUNT(Table1[YO])),ALLEXCEPT(Table1,Table1[YO]))
Tickets closed by year = IF(MAX([YC])=BLANK(),BLANK(),CALCULATE(SUMX(Table1,DISTINCTCOUNT(Table1[YC])),ALLEXCEPT(Table1,Table1[YC])))
Cumulative tickets open by year = CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(Table1[ID]),FILTER(ALL(Table1),Table1[DateOpened]<=MAX(Table1[DateOpened])),VALUES(Table1[YO]))
Cumulative tickets closed by year = IF(MAX([DateClosed])=BLANK(),BLANK(),CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(Table1[ID]),FILTER(ALL(Table1),Table1[DateOpened]<=MAX(Table1[DateOpened])),VALUES(Table1[YC])))

1.png

Best regards,

Dina Ye

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

I’ve created a table as below, the status will show Off once ticket closed.  Pbix attached here for your reference: https://wicren-my.sharepoint.com/:u:/g/personal/dinaye_wicren_onmicrosoft_com/ET_34Gzt7mlPj0lSAgH_SMUBo6jOMXICBteSkCtetScB8A?e=kOibQc

1.png

Please refer to following formulas to generate the results:

1. Create MonthOpen and MonthClosed column :
MO = MONTH([DateOpened])
MONTH([DateClosed])

2. Measures as listed :

Tickets opened by month = CALCULATE(SUMX(Table1,DISTINCTCOUNT(Table1[MO])),ALLEXCEPT(Table1,Table1[MO]))
Tickets closed by month = IF(MAX([MC])=BLANK(),BLANK(),CALCULATE(SUMX(Table1,DISTINCTCOUNT(Table1[MC])),ALLEXCEPT(Table1,Table1[MC])))
Cumulative tickets open by month = CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(Table1[ID]),FILTER(ALL(Table1),Table1[DateOpened]<=MAX(Table1[DateOpened])),VALUES(Table1[MO]))
Cumulative tickets closed by month = IF(MAX([DateClosed])=BLANK(),BLANK(),CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(Table1[ID]),FILTER(ALL(Table1),Table1[DateOpened]<=MAX(Table1[DateOpened])),VALUES(Table1[MC])))

2.png

Best regards,

Dina Ye

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-diye-msft 

I've given it a try but some of the measures don't seem to be working correctly:

Measures Example.JPG

Just to clarify what i'm tryig to end up with is something like this:

Excel Example.JPG

But the actual data contains tickets raised across multiple years.

I hope that makes is a bit clearer as to what I am trying to achieve.

Thanks for the support so far - Alex

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dina,

Thank you that's lots of help and has taught me lots, how would I expand this to cope with that data that spans more than one year?

Thanks

Hi @Anonymous ,

1. Create the yr column:
YO= Year([DateOpened])
YC= Year([DateClosed])

2. Measures as listed :

Tickets opened by year = CALCULATE(SUMX(Table1,DISTINCTCOUNT(Table1[YO])),ALLEXCEPT(Table1,Table1[YO]))
Tickets closed by year = IF(MAX([YC])=BLANK(),BLANK(),CALCULATE(SUMX(Table1,DISTINCTCOUNT(Table1[YC])),ALLEXCEPT(Table1,Table1[YC])))
Cumulative tickets open by year = CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(Table1[ID]),FILTER(ALL(Table1),Table1[DateOpened]<=MAX(Table1[DateOpened])),VALUES(Table1[YO]))
Cumulative tickets closed by year = IF(MAX([DateClosed])=BLANK(),BLANK(),CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(Table1[ID]),FILTER(ALL(Table1),Table1[DateOpened]<=MAX(Table1[DateOpened])),VALUES(Table1[YC])))

1.png

Best regards,

Dina Ye

quickly.

Hi @Anonymous 

If my above post helps, could you please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. thanks!

Best regards,

Dina Ye

quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors