Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Chorri21
Frequent Visitor

Cumulative Total

Hy,

I had an issue with a latest project for my company. The task was to show the liquidity ratio per month (filtered by the chart of account Id). A formula for calculating the cumulative total was used. I used many variations of the cumulative totals formula which are mentioned even here on the PowerBI community pages. One of them is this one for example:

Cumulative = IF(COUNTROWS(GeneralLedger) > 0, CALCULATE([LiquidityRatio],FILTER(ALL(GeneralLedger[Date]), GeneralLedger[Date]<= MAX(GeneralLedger[Date]))),BLANK())

The filtering of the chart account id was done in the Filters option.

The issue appears when I present the results with a line chart or a area chart. When I use a waterfall chart, the results are suming up as they should, but the line and area chart do not present the data in the desired way. Here is what happens:

C1.PNG

This is an example with a modified data set where just three months are used, April with a liquidity ratio of $632K, May with $17K and june with a negative of -$4.733. As you can see the values are not sumed up (the line is not rising) they are just presented as an apsolute value per month.

Any ideas why is this happening that way?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Phil_Seamark
Employee
Employee

Hi @Chorri21,

I found your measure worked for me.  But I was only working with a very small dataset.

Maybe check your GeneralLedger[Date] column is a date time.  Make sure you have the latest version of Power BI.

If that doesn't work, perhaps look to use a date/calendar table to build your measure over.

In any case here is the super simple version using your code.

https://wgtnpowerbi-my.sharepoint.com/personal/phil_wgtnpowerbi_onmicrosoft_com/_layouts/15/guestacc...

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

View solution in original post

Thank you @Phil_Seamark for your replay. Well the issue was in the date format which was imported from the server. There was that option GeneralLedger[Date].[Date] which I had to specify in the code and it has worked well.

Greetings

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Phil_Seamark
Employee
Employee

Hi @Chorri21,

I found your measure worked for me.  But I was only working with a very small dataset.

Maybe check your GeneralLedger[Date] column is a date time.  Make sure you have the latest version of Power BI.

If that doesn't work, perhaps look to use a date/calendar table to build your measure over.

In any case here is the super simple version using your code.

https://wgtnpowerbi-my.sharepoint.com/personal/phil_wgtnpowerbi_onmicrosoft_com/_layouts/15/guestacc...

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Thank you @Phil_Seamark for your replay. Well the issue was in the date format which was imported from the server. There was that option GeneralLedger[Date].[Date] which I had to specify in the code and it has worked well.

Greetings

Nice work!  Well done.

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.