Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

S_loke
Advocate I
Advocate I

Cumulative Total using a Formatted Time Display Column

Hi,

Coming to an issue where cumulative totals are difficult to calculate where a custom display of Month is required.

Source data has:

Date

Category

Count

The data is displayed as a line and stacked column graph with the shared axis being time.  However, as the format is preferred to be MMM-YY a custom column was inserted.

The cumulative total works fine as the following DAX

CALCULATE (
    'CPC'[Count],
    FILTER (all(CPC),'CPC'[PERIOD].[Date] <= MAX ( 'CPC'[PERIOD].[Date] )
    )

But using the custom column for format, it evaluates incorrectly as MMM-YY is now treated as text

CALCULATE (
    'CPC'[Count],
    FILTER (all(CPC),'CPC'[Display Time] <= MAX ( 'CPC'[Display Time] )
    )

Is there any syntax where I can force the "<=" evaluation to be time accurate based on the text field?

2 REPLIES 2
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@S_loke

No, you can't do comparison like "<=" on text fields.

However, in this scenario, you've already created a custom column based on Date, which means each formatted time is associated with the date. It will not impact your cumulative total calculation. Just keep the original formula:

CALCULATE (
    'CPC'[Count],
    FILTER (all(CPC),'CPC'[PERIOD].[Date] <= MAX ( 'CPC'[PERIOD].[Date] )
    )

And put the 'CPC'[Display Time] into your chart visual, it supposes to return correct result.

Regards,

Thanks.

I've tried to complete the graphics with the custom period display.  However, the calculation does come up correctly.

with display time format.JPG

however, when using the real date field, it does show it correctly.

with real date field.JPG

is this due to the calculation being a measure instead of a calculated column?  I guess that maybe the measure has some dynamic relationship on how it's calculated?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.