Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

BrianVT
Resolver I
Resolver I

Cumulative Total using SUMX and ALLSELECTED, but for multiple tables

The following formulas work fine for displaying cumulative planned labor by Time Period End Date:

Planned Labor Cost = CALCULATE(SUM('Labor Append'[Total Cost]),'Labor Append'[Data Type]="Planned Labor")
Cumulative Planned Labor Cost = SUMX(FILTER(ALLSELECTED('Labor Append'),'Labor Append'[Time Period End Date] <= max('Labor Append'[Time Period End Date])),[Planned Labor Cost])

The problem is that I have an additional measure that sums ODC cost from a different table, and a measure that sums the Labor and ODC cost (Total Planned Cost).  How do I create a cumulative SUMX function for this Total Planned Cost measure if ALLSELECTED only applies to one table, but the measure I'm cumulating is sourced from two tables?

Planned ODCs = CALCULATE([Total ODC Cost],'ODC Append'[Data Type]="Planned ODC")
Total Planned Cost = [Planned Labor Cost] + [Planned ODCs]

For instance, this formula works, but gives the wrong information because my measure is not just summing from the 'Labor Append' table:

Cumulative Planned Labor Cost = SUMX(FILTER(ALLSELECTED('Labor Append'),'Labor Append'[Time Period End Date] <= max('Labor Append'[Time Period End Date])),[Total Planned Cost])

2 REPLIES 2
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@BrianVT this looks like a poor data model design and that's why it is not working as expected. You should have a common dimension that has a relationship with both the tables and then use that dimension for a cumulative total. There is always a choice between creating a good data model and simply the DAX or poor data model and then use complex DAX formula. 

Follow us on LinkedIn

Check my latest blog post The Power of Using Calculation Groups with Inactive Relationships (Part 1) (perytus.com) I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Follow us on LinkedIn

Check my latest blog post The Power of Using Calculation Groups with Inactive Relationships (Part 1) (perytus.com) I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Well, yes, there are several dimension tables connected to both of them, one being the Time Period End Date Dimension table.  So, are you suggesting there is something I should do with that?

Or, are you saying I should append/merge the two fact tables that are being added together?

I'm not like a newbie to data models - your post wasn't very helpful up to this point.

So, it's not possible to have ALLSELECTED apply to more than one table, and/or there is not an alternative logic?  That's essentially my question. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.