Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

spencer_g
Helper I
Helper I

Cumulative Sum - The function MAX takes an argument that evaluates to numbers or dates and cannot...

Hello Everyone, 

I am trying to create a cumulative sum for a three-year period, and when I use this function:

Cumulative Employers = CALCULATE(SUM('I Employers'[Total Employers]),FILTER(ALL('I Employers'[Date Created]), 'I Employers'[Date Created] <= MAX('I Employers'[Date Created])))

I recieve the following error message:

The function MAX takes an argument that evaluates to numbers or dates and cannot work with values of type String.

If my formula isn't correct, what is the correct formula? If it is correct, how do I remedy the error? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Vvelarde
Community Champion
Community Champion

Verify that date fields are Date TYPE no String.

Lima - Peru

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Vvelarde
Community Champion
Community Champion

Verify that date fields are Date TYPE no String.

Lima - Peru

Thanks, your reply prompted me to realize that I was using a "new column" with a formatted date instead of my original date contained in my data. This solved the problem of the error message. I'm still not getting the result I want from the formula, but at least the error is gone. Baby steps!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.