Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cumulative Sum - Blank Values

I'm using a matrix to represent the increase of the numbers of users between the fiscal years. In my matrix, if the year don't have users added the sum is bring a blank value. 

Here is the formula that I'm using: Measure = CALCULATE(
SUM('vw_qtd_usuarios_ano_departamento_acm'[NumberOfUsers]);
FILTER(all('vw_qtd_usuarios_ano_departamento_acm'[FY]);'vw_qtd_usuarios_ano_departamento_acm'[FY]<=max('vw_qtd_usuarios_ano_departamento_acm'[FY])))

Can someone help me?

example.PNG

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
jdbuchanan71
Super User
Super User

I was not able to get this to work without a separate date table.  If I have a date table with a FY column then I was able to use the following measure to get the amounts to roll forward.

Running Total = 
VAR MaxDate = MAX( 'Date'[FY] )
RETURN
CALCULATE(
    [Total Revenue]
    ,FILTER ( ALL ('Date') , 'Date'[FY] <= MaxDate ) )

running_total.jpg

View solution in original post

You won't need a different formula, you would just need to pull the FiscalYear field into the columns of the matrix.  The way the formula works is by figuring out the highest date that is represented in the column (or row) and summing everything up to that date.   As an example, I wrote the first part of out measure into my date table and I also set a FY starting in Oct.

If I pull Calender year into the columns the highest date I get is Dec 31st.

date_cal_year.JPG

If I switch my columns to be my FY field from my date table the highest date in any FY is 9/30.  Because the rest of the measure uses that date it will only calc up through that date if I put FY in the columns.

dates_fy.JPG

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
jdbuchanan71
Super User
Super User

I was not able to get this to work without a separate date table.  If I have a date table with a FY column then I was able to use the following measure to get the amounts to roll forward.

Running Total = 
VAR MaxDate = MAX( 'Date'[FY] )
RETURN
CALCULATE(
    [Total Revenue]
    ,FILTER ( ALL ('Date') , 'Date'[FY] <= MaxDate ) )

running_total.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @jdbuchanan71, Thank you for reply my doubt.

I can change the query to return the date and I will do a new test as you said in your example.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jdbuchanan71,

Finally I got the result that I needing, but in this situation I'm doing a sum in the year, so can I sum based on fiscal year?

Our fiscal year start on october and ends on september .

QtyOfUsers =
VAR MaxDate = MAX( 'vw_qtd_usuarios_ano_departamento_acm2'[Date_of_Register].[Date])
RETURN
CALCULATE(
[SumofUsers]
;FILTER ( ALL ('vw_qtd_usuarios_ano_departamento_acm2'[Date_of_Register].[Date]) ; ' vw_qtd_usuarios_ano_departamento_acm2'[Date_of_Register].[Date] <= MaxDate ) )

result.PNG

Thank you very much for your help.

Yes, you should be able to pull your FY column from the date table and it will still sum correctly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jdbuchanan71,

There is a formula to calculate? How I can calculate it?

You won't need a different formula, you would just need to pull the FiscalYear field into the columns of the matrix.  The way the formula works is by figuring out the highest date that is represented in the column (or row) and summing everything up to that date.   As an example, I wrote the first part of out measure into my date table and I also set a FY starting in Oct.

If I pull Calender year into the columns the highest date I get is Dec 31st.

date_cal_year.JPG

If I switch my columns to be my FY field from my date table the highest date in any FY is 9/30.  Because the rest of the measure uses that date it will only calc up through that date if I put FY in the columns.

dates_fy.JPG

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @jdbuchanan71,

As you told me about the idea above, I created a field in my query on database that check if the month of the date is greater than 10, if yes, I add 120 days to input this data in the next year.

In this report I need the information by FY and does not import how is the new data and worked very well.

Thank you very much for your help.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.