Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

BekahLoSurdo
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

Cumulative Measure Not Accepting A Filter

Hi everyone,

I have a cumulative revenue funnel where each level incorporates all of the values from the levels beneath plus additional values. In order to achieve this, I used the following measure:

Potential Revenue Unweighted = CALCULATE( 
    SUM( 'Revenue Funnel'[Amount] ),
    FILTER( ALLEXCEPT( 'Revenue Funnel', 'Revenue Funnel'[Date] ),
        'Revenue Funnel'[Revenue Hierarchy] >= MIN( 'Revenue Funnel'[Revenue Hierarchy] ) ) )

Revenue Funnel.PNG

I need to be able to slice this by date (hence the ALLEXCEPT function) but despite the visual picking up the supposed filter, nothing on the visual changes when various years are selected.

BekahLoSurdo_0-1572381510457.png

Is there something else I need to specify in my measure? Thank you in advance.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
sturlaws
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @BekahLoSurdo ,

You have 'Revenue Funnel'[Date] in the ALLEXCEPT-function. Which means any filter on 'Revenue Funnel'[Year] will be removed by the ALLEXCEPT-function. So either replace 'Revenue Funnel'[Date], or add 'Revenue Funnel'[Year], in the ALLEXCEPT-function

Cheers,
Sturla

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution. Kudos are nice too.

View solution in original post

BekahLoSurdo
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

Thanks for watching out, @Icey. This didn't immediately solve my issue and I've been playing with it before replying to cover all of my bases.

I appreciate the answer @sturlaws, it really pointed me in the right direction. I think this is what you were talking about but I couldn't quite get it to work:

FILTER( ALLEXCEPT( 'Revenue Funnel', 'Revenue Funnel'[Date].[Year] ),
        'Revenue Funnel'[Revenue Hierarchy] >= MIN( 'Revenue Funnel'[Revenue Hierarchy] ) ) )

...however it got me thinking about the date in the filter context. I tried replacing it with another (non-hierarchical) dimension and when I put that dimension on a slicer it worked. So the problem seems to be with how my code is interacting with the default date table. (Hmmm....)

I ended up solving it in a roundabout way by creating a new ("Whole Number") column that parsed out the year from the date column and that worked:

FILTER( ALLEXCEPT( 'Revenue Funnel', 'Revenue Funnel'[Parsed Year] ),

I'll pro-actively mark this as solved due to the workaround but if anyone has any insights into how to actually use the date hierarchy in this instance, I'm all ears!

Thanks all. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
BekahLoSurdo
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

Thanks for watching out, @Icey. This didn't immediately solve my issue and I've been playing with it before replying to cover all of my bases.

I appreciate the answer @sturlaws, it really pointed me in the right direction. I think this is what you were talking about but I couldn't quite get it to work:

FILTER( ALLEXCEPT( 'Revenue Funnel', 'Revenue Funnel'[Date].[Year] ),

...however it got me thinking about the date in the filter context. I tried replacing it with another (non-hierarchical) dimension and when I put that dimension on a slicer it worked. So the problem seems to be with how my code is interacting with the default date table. (Hmmm....)

I ended up solving it in a roundabout way by creating a new ("Whole Number") column that parsed out the year from the date column and that worked:

FILTER( ALLEXCEPT( 'Revenue Funnel', 'Revenue Funnel'[Parsed Year] ),

I'll pro-actively mark this as solved due to the workaround but if anyone has any insights into how to actually use the date hierarchy in this instance, I'm all ears!

Thanks all. 

Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @BekahLoSurdo ,

Is this problem solved?

If it is solved, please always accept the replies making sense as solution to your question so that people who may have the same question can get the solution directly.

If not, please let me know.

Best Regards
Icey

sturlaws
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @BekahLoSurdo ,

You have 'Revenue Funnel'[Date] in the ALLEXCEPT-function. Which means any filter on 'Revenue Funnel'[Year] will be removed by the ALLEXCEPT-function. So either replace 'Revenue Funnel'[Date], or add 'Revenue Funnel'[Year], in the ALLEXCEPT-function

Cheers,
Sturla

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution. Kudos are nice too.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.