Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cumulative Counts

Hello,

I am dealing with a dataset for a hotel and I am trying to create a graph that shows the ramp up of reservations made for a certain date (usually a holiday). 

I have created a measure (Cumulative_Count) that is supposed to count the number of cumulative reservations prior to a set date. For example, as of 6/30/19, how many reservations do I have for 7/04/19. As of now I can not get the measure to "ramp" up to the total count, it is just showing me the grand total of reservations for the target date and resulting in a flat line. I have read many threads on this topic but can not get it to work. 

I have created a sample pbix file with the measure as well as a example excel document to show the expected result. They can be downloaded at this link: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/y0lvjyzcnq7iygz/AABedKjIVopWFsaHLhW9r9a4a?dl=0

Any help is much appreciated. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lc_finance
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

HI @Anonymous ,

You can download my proposed solution from here.

Here is the DAX formula I propose for it:

Cumulative_Count 2 = 
var currentDate = MAX('Reservations'[res_created_at_date])

return CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(FILTER('Reservations','Reservations'[res_created_at_date]<=currentDate)), ALL('Reservations'[res_created_at_date].[Month], 'Reservations'[res_created_at_date].[MonthNo], 'Reservations'[res_created_at_date].[Day]))

Let me know if that works for you.

LC

Interested in Power BI and DAX templates? Check out my blog at www.finance-bi.com

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
lc_finance
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

HI @Anonymous ,

You can download my proposed solution from here.

Here is the DAX formula I propose for it:

Cumulative_Count 2 = 
var currentDate = MAX('Reservations'[res_created_at_date])

return CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(FILTER('Reservations','Reservations'[res_created_at_date]<=currentDate)), ALL('Reservations'[res_created_at_date].[Month], 'Reservations'[res_created_at_date].[MonthNo], 'Reservations'[res_created_at_date].[Day]))

Let me know if that works for you.

LC

Interested in Power BI and DAX templates? Check out my blog at www.finance-bi.com

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you @lc_finance,

Yes, that formula does appear to work. Can you expand on why you used the [.Month], [.Day] tags after the columns name. Normally I only need to name the column and do not need to specify those items. Could this be why my graph does not act like other I have used? Normally I can see everyday when I move my mouse over a graph and click on the specific day to drill down. The chart in your example appears to only be able to do months. 

Thank you for the continued help. 

Hi @Anonymous ,

The need for specifying [.Month], [.Day] is because Power BI 'derives' multiple columns from a Date column.

These 'derived' columns are Month, Day, Year, Quarter, etc. These additional columns allow you to filter by days, month, quarter, etc when you have a Date column.

Now back to your request: as you want to show all reservations made prior to a certain date, I had to remove the filter on Dates.

If I did not remove the filter on Dates, you would see on June 15 only reservation made on June 15, on June 16 only reservation made on the 16, etc. I removed them using ALL, and I had to apply ALL to the different 'derived' columns as above.

Does this help you?

LC

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @lc_finance. Yes that helps. I did not know that about the column treatment for dates. So how would go about having a graph like the below which allows me to mouse over specific calender days to see the metrics. The x-axis still shows months and years, but I can also mouse over specific days. My current graph works different. I can only have month, quarters, days, but not all at once, which causes the graph to not be very flexible.  

Thank you again for your help. 

screenshot.png

Hi @Anonymous ,

Sorry for the late reply, and I am glad that it helped you.

The chart in your screenshot is from Power BI? If yes, can you share a sample of it?

I will be happy to look into that for you,

LC

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.