Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

chasedq
Frequent Visitor

Cubes (SSAS) Date Filters and PowerBI

Hello,

Our company is starting to use cubes a lot and one of the issues is date filtering. When we connect to the cube in SSAS the date field seems to be treated as string and not an actual field, thus losing the innate date filtering functionality (is on or before, is before, etc.)

After a bit of research, I was able to change the properties of the date attribute in the dimension by updating ValueColumn to Date datatype. Update Value Column.JPG

Now I have two fields that come up in the list of attributes for the Date Dimension, one for Date (string) and one for Date.Value (date datatype). Date Dim Attributes with new DateValue attribute.JPGNeedless to say, the Date.Value attribute shows the innate date filtering functions.

I just wanted to ask if this is by design? Is there a way to keep that just one date field but look at the ValueColumn instead of now having two fields? Is there another way to manage this?

Thank you!

10 REPLIES 10
soniamtw
Frequent Visitor

Hi @chasedq,

I am trying to add a trendline to a bar-chart where the x-axis is Months (Apr, May, Jun,..). And I am unable to do so. I came across your post and found it helpful. How did you change the properties of the date attribute? Where do you go to get to this 

Update Value Column.JPG

I am new Power BI user. And I am not sure how to get here.

Thanks!!

LanceDelano
Employee
Employee

Is the actual key of the Date dimension a different field?   A common approach to these types of tables it to use an integer column and then things like the "Date" field are there but aren't actually used for the FK relationships. 

And, where did you change the data type?  In the source, data view, query view, etc.?

Lance

Yes, the actual key is a surrogate key called DateDimID. Good suggestion, I'll try this out and get back to you.

The datatype was already a datetime field from the source so I didn't really change the datatype per se, just the properties of the dimensions.

what is the solution to this issue.

I have also been having this issue (only saw this post now), using date.value seems to solve most of my issues around date functionality, does seem a bit silly though that this does this, so i dont think it needs a solution but it does just create unnecessary complexity, unless someone can explain why this is happening?

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

Hi did you find any solutions to this. Dont want 2 fields. Any way to hide one field

chasedq
Frequent Visitor

Just thought I'd bump this up a bit 🙂

Happy Friday. Just another quick bump.

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@chasedq, this issue can be reproduced on my side. I will report it internally to ask senior engineers for help. I will post back once I got any updates.

Thank you @Vicky_Song.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.