Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

kishoresakamuri
Frequent Visitor

Cube connection

HI

I am using the datasource as analysis services i am getting to two options

1.live connection

2.import data

when i connect to live we are not able to create custom columns and the measures . if i connect import data it's taking lot of time to connect.

Is there is any way for quick connection.

Regards,

Kishore Sakamuri.

7 REPLIES 7
Baskar
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Cool,

1. Live Connection.

We can't do anything using DAX here. All the stuff u have to in SSAS cube itself.

In live connection there is no data import on your Local so it should be fast.

2. Import mode.

We can do all the DAX stuff here.

All the datas are loaded in local so it might slow peformance.

My Suggestion:

Go with Live Connection, Without live connection y u went to cube ?

if u want to create new column or measure we can do in SSAS Cube itself. it was increase your performance dude.

SSAS - Power BI id best combination , when u go with Live connection 

Hi @Baskar,

What would you recommend for scenarios where you want to leverage two data sources, one cube and one excel table? When you use the cube as a live connection, the Get Data function is no longer available, so you cannot build calculations, connect other data etc. In this case is using the import model and DAX your only option?

Please let me know.

Thanks,

Michael

Baskar
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Dear Friend,

Sorry for my previous one. 
Import is always faster then live connection. It is based on the data size.

let come to here.

1. If u connect one source as live connection we can't use another connection as import.

solution for this scenario.

1. Try to import that excel file into cube and do the all modelling and calculation in cube itself. 

or 

2. Change the live connection to import then do the calculation here.

Note :

Few updates back Power BI introduce one new feature. that we can do the DAX calculation in power bi desktop if even connected with Live source too.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Baskar ,

Hope you or some one of Contributors team see this post and reply. Can elaborat on how to import an offline file(i.e. Excel, Json, sql, etc.) I can push to cube abd use DAX or any potent manipulator?

Please answer...

Thanks

Hi @Baskar,

Thanks for your reply. What about when you need to connect two data sources and would like to build calculations off of them? i.e. I would like to leverage a sales report and a forecast report that are from different sources. If I use a live connection I can no longer use the "Get Data" function?

In this case, is building a DAX import my only option?

Thanks!

Michael

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @kishoresakamuri,

Based on my test, it's not supported to do data modeling in SSAS cube live connection, includes create a measure, calculated column or table.

To do data modeling, we can connect to SSAS cube in Import mode. In your scenario, you can write a MDX query to retrieved useful data.

q1.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi

But when i connect to import it's taking more time to load the tables and after a long time it's failing to load show the time out error.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.