Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cross table if condition

Hi 

I have two tables which are joined M:M. I am trying to create a column considering either of the table I was not able to see other table columns in the calculation. Please advise 

Table1:                                                          Table2:

Subscriber            Individual Id                     Subscriber           Individual Id 

00012012             1254252                           00012012             1254252  

00012013              Null/Blank                       00012013             1254269 

00012014             1254255                           00012014             1254255

00012015             Null/Blank                        00012015             1254277

I am creating column in Table 1 but not able to locate Table2 fields

=IF(ISBLANK(Table1. Individual ID), Table2.Individual ID, Table1. Individual ID) 

Sincerely - Krishna

5 REPLIES 5
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

You can create column like DAX below.

Column = Var d=CALCULATE(FIRSTNONBLANK(Table2[Individual Id],1),FILTER(ALLSELECTED(Table1),Table1[Subscriber]=Table2[Subscriber]))
Return
IF(ISBLANK(Table1[Individual Id]),d,Table1[Individual Id])

Best Regards,

Amy

Community Support Team _ Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

VasTg
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@Anonymous 

Since you have M:M relation you should use RELATEDTABLE expression to get the desired results.

Column = IF(ISBLANK('Table (1)'[Individual Id]),MAXX(RELATEDTABLE('Table (2)'),'Table (2)'[Individual Id]),'Table (1)'[Individual Id])

Cap11.PNG

The "Individual ID" column should be in numeric datatype for this to work. Based on your need, change the aggregate expression, I have used MAXX as a example.

If this helps, mark it as a solution.
Kudos are nice too.

Connect on LinkedIn
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks for the quick response, I try to implement the same but I am getting the below error

'A single value for column 'Pers Indv Id' in table 'POC_PYMT_ACTUAL' cannot be determined. This can happen when a measure formula refers to a column that contains many values without specifying an aggregation such as min, max, count, or sum to get a single result.' 

= IF(ISBLANK('POC_PYMT_ACTUAL'[Pers Indv Id]),MAXX(RELATEDTABLE('POC_SBSPN_LIFECYC_ACTUAL'),'POC_SBSPN_LIFECYC_ACTUAL'[Pers Indv Id POC SBSPN LIFECYCLE ACTUAL]),'POC_PYMT_ACTUAL'[Pers Indv Id])

Sincerely- Krishna

@Anonymous 

Did you create the column in POC_PYMT_ACTUAL table? Is the relationship between the tables based on Subscriber?

Also, are the column names correct? Pers Indv Id POC SBSPN LIFECYCLE ACTUAL

Cap11.PNG

If this helps, mark it as a solution.If not please attach the sample pbix file.

Connect on LinkedIn
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, I have created this calculation in POC_PYMT_ACTUAL table and yes the relationship established with Subscriber. I tried creating the calculation referring same but of getting Max per row, grouping is not getting applied. Please advise.

Thanks - Krishna.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.