Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cross table division forumula help

I need to calculate a division using values from 2 diffierent tables linked by relationship. The 2 tables are linked by 2 dimension tables: one is a date table and the other a client name table. The calculation is to show the number of Value/OrderNo. (average value per order of the same linked month and same client).

I created the following measure, but it didn't work: 

Division =
DIVIDE(
    calculate(SUM('Table1'[Value]), allexcept(Table1, Table1[Client], Table1[Month])),
    calculate(SUM('Table2'[OrderNo]), allexcept(Table2, Table2[Client], Table2[Month])
))

I tried to use the Filter function and/or Allexcept to make sure the numerator and denumerator
are linked to the correct same month and client. But both not working. What have I done wrong in the code?

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous 

To make expected visuals and reports, i would suggest you to create proper data models.

I make a test as below, please read though to see if it would help you.

I have three tables

"value table" with columns : client, month, year, department,value

"order table" with columns : client, month, year, department,order

"standardise client table"  with columns : standardise name, invalid name

First open Edit queries, merge "order table" and "value table" to a single table

merge column "standardise name" from "standardise client table" to"order table"

4.png5.png

The same for "value table" merge column"standardise name"from"standardise client table" to "value table".

1.2 merge columns in "order table"

7.png

Merge columns in "value table", the same as above,

Note: In two tables, click on each column on the same order as shown (1,2,3,4)

1.3 Merge two tables "order table" and "value table"

Select "merge queries"->merge as new

8.png

then expand "value" and "client" from "value table".

For a good performance when data is huge, you could right click on the table name and uncheck the "enable load"

9.png

Close&&apply

fianlly, create a a column in "Merge" table

year/month = [year]&"/"&[month]

Create a calendar table

calendar = FILTER( ADDCOLUMNS(CALENDAR(DATE(2018,1,1),DATE(2018,2,28)),"year/month",FORMAT([Date],"yyyy/m")),DAY([Date])=1)

You could connect this calendar table with "merge1" table with the column "year/month" in both tables.

Then you can add slicers on the report to filter the order/value or any other calculation based on these.

10.png

Best Regards
Maggie

Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

I can make it work on my side.

9.png

On my side, two tables have relationships as below

10.png

client/month1 = Table1[client]&"/"&Table1[month]
client/month2 = Table2[client]&"/"&Table2[month]

If you still have problems,
Please share some example data with me ofr further analysis.

Best Regards
Maggie

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the idea of concatenating client and month/period. This is what I didn't have at the time. I used a test model with this concat and then it worked OK.

However, when I trie to use dimension tables for 'client' and 'month', and also 'year', then I couldn't not put two different tables columns in the ALLEXCEPT function. I think this is where it went wrong.

In the real dataset, client names in 2 data tables are not necessarily the same, so a dimension table is used to standardise client names. In fact, there are also other column parameters that I would like to use as a possible filter. Month/year is easier to deal with. I wonder if you have any suggestions if I want to use dimension tables as filters so the resulted chart could be more interactive? Thanks.

Hi @Anonymous 

Is this problem sloved? 

If it is sloved, could you kindly accept it as a solution to close this case?

If not, please let me know.

Best Regards

Maggie

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, Maggie

Sorry for the late reply, was away. Thank you for taking the time to find and explain the solutions. I was thinking of something along the line but not as clean as your suggestion. Much appreciated.

Thanks,

Alex

Hi @Anonymous 

To make expected visuals and reports, i would suggest you to create proper data models.

I make a test as below, please read though to see if it would help you.

I have three tables

"value table" with columns : client, month, year, department,value

"order table" with columns : client, month, year, department,order

"standardise client table"  with columns : standardise name, invalid name

First open Edit queries, merge "order table" and "value table" to a single table

merge column "standardise name" from "standardise client table" to"order table"

4.png5.png

The same for "value table" merge column"standardise name"from"standardise client table" to "value table".

1.2 merge columns in "order table"

7.png

Merge columns in "value table", the same as above,

Note: In two tables, click on each column on the same order as shown (1,2,3,4)

1.3 Merge two tables "order table" and "value table"

Select "merge queries"->merge as new

8.png

then expand "value" and "client" from "value table".

For a good performance when data is huge, you could right click on the table name and uncheck the "enable load"

9.png

Close&&apply

fianlly, create a a column in "Merge" table

year/month = [year]&"/"&[month]

Create a calendar table

calendar = FILTER( ADDCOLUMNS(CALENDAR(DATE(2018,1,1),DATE(2018,2,28)),"year/month",FORMAT([Date],"yyyy/m")),DAY([Date])=1)

You could connect this calendar table with "merge1" table with the column "year/month" in both tables.

Then you can add slicers on the report to filter the order/value or any other calculation based on these.

10.png

Best Regards
Maggie

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.