Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ansa_naz
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Cross report drillthrough - Being applied to report pages where Cross Report is not active

I have two reports, a source report and a target report

The cross report drillthough is set up to go to a hidden page on the target report. This is done by selecting the 'Cross report' toggle to On for that page only. 

There is a second page on the target report, which is not hidden. The Cross report toggle is set to Off for this page.

When I drill through from source report to target report, both the hidden and visible pages on the target report are getting filtered by the drill through

Is this by design?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ansa_naz ,

Based on my test, this is normal phenomenon. The target report works the same as the target page in one report.

For cross-report drillthrough, Power BI passes the filter context to standard pages in the target report. Power BI doesn't pass filter context for tooltip pages, because tooltip pages are filtered based on the source visual that invokes the tooltip.

Reference: Use cross-report drillthrough.

Here is one similar post: Cross Report Drill Through automatically adding unwanted filters to all pages of target report

Of course, you can psot your idea on Power BI Ideas. It is a place for customers to provide feedback about Power BI.

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ansa_naz ,

Based on my test, this is normal phenomenon. The target report works the same as the target page in one report.

For cross-report drillthrough, Power BI passes the filter context to standard pages in the target report. Power BI doesn't pass filter context for tooltip pages, because tooltip pages are filtered based on the source visual that invokes the tooltip.

Reference: Use cross-report drillthrough.

Here is one similar post: Cross Report Drill Through automatically adding unwanted filters to all pages of target report

Of course, you can psot your idea on Power BI Ideas. It is a place for customers to provide feedback about Power BI.

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

ansa_naz
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Thanks for this, didnt realise every page in the Target report would be filtered. I have upvoted an item on Ideas.powerbi.com to have this changed so it is easier to use:

https://ideas.powerbi.com/ideas/idea/?ideaid=09ae958d-7699-4ebd-bf2b-3ad1541cbe21

Cheers

ansa_naz
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

So what I have for the target report is below:

This is the visible page in the report, which should NOT get filtered by the drillthrough - Cross Report toggle is Off:

Visible page - no cross report.jpg

And I have the below hidden page, which I have set to drillthrough to as the Cross report toggle is On:

Hidden page - cross report on.jpg

When I drillthrough to this target report, both of the above pages are getting filtered from the source report. How is that possible?

Hi @ansa_naz ,

Cross Report option on tabs are used to filter across different Power BI reports.

See below link for more explanation:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/desktop-cross-report-drill-through

In your case you have all the tabs in same Power BI Report, so you don't need to Switch on this option.

You just need Drillthrough filters to set-up your actions.

In your 2nd screenshot (1st hidden tab), you have got 4 filters as drillthrough filters and these are coming from 1st un-hidden tab. Therefore this tab is getting filtered.

If you don't want to KEEP ALL FILTERS as drillthrough filters on your hidden tab, uncheck KEEP ALL FILTERS option.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog YouTube 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!!

ansa_naz
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Hi @Pragati11 I believe there may be a misunderstanding here. The screenshots show only the Target Report. I also have multiple Source reports which I dont believe have any releance to this issue I am having, so didnt show any screenshots for them

When I drillthrough from a Source Report, both pages of the Target Report are getting filtered. I need only the page where Cross Report is toggled On and active to get filtered.

Is this possible?

Pragati11
Super User
Super User

Hi @ansa_naz ,

A little more detail like screenshots are required on your issue. Ad some screenshots around your query.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490

Have you moved a filed under DRILLTHROUGH FILTERS on your 2nd page of your Target Report similar to on 1st page?

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog YouTube 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.