Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cross reference multiplication based on date and stock price

Dear all,

I have the following table:

Capture.PNG

What measure shall I use to achieve the highligted red figure. I need a measure/formula which would allow me to filter by client type, stock name as well as the date.

Warmest regards,

6 REPLIES 6
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi TeeTreeThree,

I agree with CahabaData’s point of view, you could refer to below sample:

Dax: Stock Total = ADDCOLUMNS(ALL('Stock Record'),"Price",LOOKUPVALUE('Stock Detail'[Stock Price],'Stock Detail'[Date],'Stock Record'[Date],'Stock Detail'[Stock Name],'Stock Record'[Stock Name]))

Capture.PNG

Calculate coulmns of value and current quality:

Current Quality = SUMX(FILTER(all('Stock Total'),AND('Stock Total'[Date]<=EARLIER('Stock Total'[Date]) , 'Stock Total'[Stock Name]=EARLIER('Stock Total'[Stock Name]))),'Stock Total'[Quality])

value = ABS( 'Stock Total'[Quality] * 'Stock Total'[Price])

About total value, you could take a look at below formulas:

1. Measure.

TotalByDate = CALCULATE(SUM('Stock Total'[value]), Filter (ALL( 'Stock Total'), SUMX(FILTER('Stock Total', 'Stock Total'[Date] = Earlier ('Stock Total'[Date] ) ),'Stock Total'[value])))

2. Calculate column.(it seems simple than measure)

TotalValueByDate = SUMX( FILTER(ALL('Stock Total'),'Stock Total'[Date]=EARLIER('Stock Total'[Date])),'Stock Total'[value])

>>I need a measure/formula which would allow me to filter by client type, stock name as well as the date.

You could add the new condition to formula:

TotalByDate = CALCULATE(SUM('Stock Total'[value]), Filter (ALL( 'Stock Total'), SUMX(FILTER('Stock Total', AND('Stock Total'[Date] = Earlier ('Stock Total'[Date] , 'Stock Total'[TrxType]=”Sell”) ) ),'Stock Total'[value])))

In addition, I think use a slicer is more suitable to filter data.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi xiaoxin, thanks for replying. 

I realised the results you attain and the results I aim to get are different as seen in the above.

Hi TeeTreeThree,

>>I realised the results you attain and the results I aim to get are different as seen in the above.

Could you provide some detail about these?

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Xiaoxin,

I managed to find the solution to this by reading some of the post:

The relationship I built as follow:

Capture.PNG

The measure used to attain my desired results:

Total Value = SUMX(VALUES(Symbol[Symbol]),CALCULATE(SUM(Trx[Quantity]),DATESBETWEEN(DimDate[DateKey],BLANK(),MAX(DimDate[DateKey])),ALL(DimDate))*CALCULATE(VALUES(Price[Px]),LASTNONBLANK(DATESBETWEEN(DimDate[DateKey],DATEADD(DimDate[DateKey],-30,DAY),MAX(DimDate[DateKey])),CALCULATE(COUNT(Price[Px])))))

However:

I managed to attain what I want in this simplified example however when apply to actual data this error show

"A table of multiple values was supplied where a single value was expected."

CahabaData
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

I would trim out the unneeded columns in the upper sample, and then do a pivot.

Having said that; it seems viable if there is really a limited number of Stocks as per your sample.  If the reality is that there is an infinite variety of stocks then I wouldn't take this approach of a left-to-right style display and instead stay with the normal up/down table of data and go with grouping around the dates to sum.

www.CahabaData.com
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi CahabaData,

Thank you for replying. As I am trying to construct a dashboard I would love to do it in PowerBI. I just need to get to results as shown in the red highlighted column - it can be a new column or new measure. Shall I join some tables together? I am open to whatever method to get the results except that it must be done in PowerBI.

Thank you,

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.