Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

h_l
Post Patron
Post Patron

Cross month week, cross quarter month hierarchy in chart

Hello,

I just found when I expand down by date hierarchy, the cross month week, or cross quarter month will be displayed as 2 bar series.

h_l_0-1614488047092.png

Seemed it is because there is "month" above "weekNum" hierarchy, so, when it breaks down to weekNum level cross 2 months, the bar chart will be 2 bars as well.

h_l_0-1614527654163.png

But the problem is, if I don't give "month" above "weekNum", then when I drill up on the bar chart, the visual will not be summarized at "month" level.

Is there a solution can resolve this and keeping the chart is able to be drill up / expand?

Expected result:

When expand to "Week Number", the highlighted 2 data will be sum togehter to "Wk6", but not 2021-1-1-wk6 AND 2021-1-2-wk6.

then when I click "drill up" action on the chart, the data can be sum to "2021-1-1" and "2020-1-2" (Year-Quarter-Month)

Thanks.

H

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-alq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @h_l 

I think it is a normal phenomenon with hierarchy. If you don't give "Month" above "Weeknum",  the visual will be summarized as " Year=>Quarter=>WeekNum" level. If you give "Month" above "Weeknum", it will continue to divide by week based on the current hierarchy.

Best Regards

Allan

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-alq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @h_l 

I think it is a normal phenomenon with hierarchy. If you don't give "Month" above "Weeknum",  the visual will be summarized as " Year=>Quarter=>WeekNum" level. If you give "Month" above "Weeknum", it will continue to divide by week based on the current hierarchy.

Best Regards

Allan

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks @v-alq-msft , after remove "month" and "quarter" but keeping Year-Week, it is working well now.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@h_l - Not certain I follow exactly. Perhaps use the double arrows to drill versus the forked arrows? Can you post sample data to recreate?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hi Greg,

As a new member, I have no permission to upload a file. I paste screen captures at below.

I hope following reply can help you help me.

If I use double arrow to drill down, then it has problem at Quarter hierarchy, as you see, the data is from 2020-1-1 to 2021-2-20, then, by Quarter will not consider "Year", but summarize 2020 Jan-Mar AND 2021 Jan-Feb data to Quarter 1 (which includes 2020 Q1 and 2021 Q1 to Q1).

图片.png

Seemed it is because there is "month" above "weekNum" hierarchy, so, when it breaks down to weekNum level cross 2 months, they are splited to 2 bars as in OP

h_l_0-1614528457390.png

But the problem is, if I don't give "month" above "weekNum", then when I drill up on the bar chart, the visual will not be summarized at "month" level.

Is there a solution can resolve this and keeping the chart is able to be drill up to Month / expand to Week?

Screen captures:

Table Date:

h_l_0-1614528819330.png

h_l_1-1614528838689.png

Table Domain:

h_l_2-1614528855371.png

Table Performance:

h_l_3-1614528870094.png

Model:

h_l_4-1614528966413.png

Thank you.

H

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.