Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

zacksg1
Advocate II
Advocate II

Cross-highlighting visuals: how to best structure survey data?

Hi!

My dataset includes survey data (say 100 rows of survey responses and 10 columns of responses). 

I've unpivoted.....so, 1000 rows which each include a question value (1-10) and an answer value (A,B,C,D), plus an ID (1-100) to indicate which of the original 100 responses it originated from). 

This setup enables me to easily set up measures and create all of the visuals I need (great!).

However, I'd like to be able to cross-highlight (or possibly cross-filter) a few of the visuals, and I'm struggling with how to get that set up properly. 

For example, I have stacked column chart that displays the % of responses for (A,B,C,D) for question #1. I'd like users to be able to click on that chart--selecting option C, let's say--and have this cross-highlight or cross-filter all of the other visuals to only include survey responses for which the answer to question 1 was C. Because I've unpivoted, when I select C, everything related to other questions goes blank, since it only keeps (unpivoted) rows with Question=1 and Answer=C.

How do I (re-)structure my data and/or tweak the visual interactions setting to enable that? 

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
Seppevangils

Have you found a solution for this yet? I struggle with the same issue. Thx!

zacksg1
Advocate II
Advocate II

Annotation 2020-05-05 192349.png

Hi! 

The visual on the left is one particular survey question. The visual on the right is 4 particular survey questions.

I want users to be able to click the red area on the left  and have this cross-filter or cross-highlight the visual on the right, such that the data on the right only includes survey responses for which the person's answer was red for the left question. 

@zacksg1 so what is happening when you click on red now? Sorry just trying to wrap my head around. If possible can you share sample pbix file, remove sensitive info before sharing.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

When I click on the left graph, the data on the right graph disappears. 

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@zacksg1 unpivot is the best way to go for it, but I'm not clear what you are trying to achieve if you can share a screenshot and required behaviour it will help.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.