Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

difolt
Frequent Visitor

Cross highlight issue

Hi,

why I can not do something like this?

I selected Customer A and specific date from Customer B. And all I need is count. 6+2 = 8. Please find PBIX file.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Px02hlZxYssB9x1TKfz06Y-ayn5xVE7n/view

Screenshot_1.png

I get an error: We can't display this visual because a measure is used in cross highlighting. Please remove the measure or cross

highlight.

8 REPLIES 8
johncpratt
Advocate II
Advocate II

This issue still exists as of today in the May 2023 GA release of Power BI Report Server.  I can also confirm that it affects both stacked column and ribbon charts displaying a total revenue number (measure) that is filtered by both the legend category in the visual (i.e. the stack categories) and the fiscal year on the X axis.  These are two separate dimensions in the data model and do NOT represent two different levels of the same hierarchy. 

If I select a legend value in one chart and a fiscal year value in another chart on the same page, it works fine, even though the fiscal year in both charts comes from the same dimension.

I can also add that I do not have this problem with a different stacked column/ribbon chart that uses a value from the fact table as the stacked category and the same fiscal year dimension as the chart with the problem.

I am reasonably certain that this was not an issue at some point in the past, as I have reports dating back to Fall 2017 that I have never seen this behavior in but are now experiencing the error.

mahenkj2
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi, It seems this issue still remains unresolved. I am getting the same error, with same text message in 2022. At first, it is itself confusing which measure and visual is troubling?

haiderAli
Frequent Visitor

Following

lkalawski
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi @v-piga-msft ,

Unfortunately, this error still exists when you choose two different levels from different tables. 

Do you have any updates from PG?

Thank you in advance for the information.

PBI_SuperUser_Rank@1x.png Proud to be a Super User.
If I helped, please accept the solution and give kudos
Linkedin

v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @difolt ,

Update:

By my tests, I'm afraid that your issue may caused by the row fileds are from different tables.

Confirmed by PG, this is by design. We currently do not support filtering of Measures using multiple fields from different tables. Error message is confusing and we'll look into ways of improving and better documenting this.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

that is odd if that is intentional, as reports that are built with proper dim/fact tables are not able to cross highlight?

HI , 

Do we have any updates on this behaviour or is it same. Moreover is there any way to disable include and exclude options when I right click on the visual.

v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @difolt ,

By my tests, I could reproduce your issue.

I have reported this issue internally and will update here if I get any information.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.