Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Almantas32
Helper II
Helper II

Cross filtering with userelationship

Hey guys, 

I have a problem with cross-filtering. I am trying to filter a table visual by date from a column chart in the same sheet. The problem is that I use several inactive relationships and no active relationship (because I read somewhere that USERELATIONSHIP works correctly only with inactive relationships). 

1. is there a way to use crossfiltering with inactive relationships? 

2. If not, how would you recomend setting up correct cross filtering in this case that I am attaching:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1THHewTS8uO-wBUF55w6fumiNzcqgIFPz/view?usp=sharing

Any help much appreciated

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

There is no 1 correct method, however it is normal to have 1 active relationship. It is not a requirement to have zero active for USERELATIONSHIP to work.

Cross filtering works on active relationships. If you want to use an inactive relationship, you need to ensure  the measure on the cross filtered visual has a USERELATIONSHIP embedded. 

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

There is no 1 correct method, however it is normal to have 1 active relationship. It is not a requirement to have zero active for USERELATIONSHIP to work.

Cross filtering works on active relationships. If you want to use an inactive relationship, you need to ensure  the measure on the cross filtered visual has a USERELATIONSHIP embedded. 

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

"measure on the cross filtered visual has a USERELATIONSHIP embedded"

How do I embed a measure? 

The measure being cross filtered must be in this form 

CALCULATE([measure],USERELATIONSHIP(. ,   ,))

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.