Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Wilsonr
Helper I
Helper I

Cross-Highlighting on Different Aggregations

I have a measure in a table of measures which is the sum of the Quantity of each Product we manufacture. The Plant information is contained in a related table called Plant. The Products are owned by a Division, and the Division information is contained in a related table called Organization.

Plant <-> Measures <-> Organization

I have created a Bar Chart which is Quantity per Plant, and a Pie Chart which is Quantity per Division. I want to click on a Plant in the bar chart and see the impact on the Division pie chart, so I have set the interactions between these two visualizations to "highlight".

I expected that clicking on a Plant in the bar chart would "filter" the data using the relationships between the three tables to compute the weight of the Plant on the various Division pie slices, but this is not what happens. Instead, it appears the the hightlighting us based on the value of the measures, i.e. Sum of Quantity, and the highlighting between two visualizations which use different aggregations on the same measure cannot be performed.

Can someone explain how highlighting actually works?

Thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @Wilsonr,

Can you please share more detail information with some sample data to test?
In addition, I'd like to suggest you enter to manage relationship and modify 'cross filter direction' option to 'both' and try again.

Regards,
Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Yes, of course I can provide more detail. Where can I drop a PBI report file?

My cross-filter directions are already set to both. I have been trying to debug, and I noticed that if I use a simple measure (i.e. just a sum of quantities), my results are as expected. However my measures aren't actually that simple - they are in fact a division of the sum of two native columns for the latest month. Why would this present a problem?

% Loading  = CALCULATE(SUM(Measures[ACTUAL_QTY]) / SUM(Measures[FORECASTED_QTY])))

HI @Wilsonr,

When you use a measure with complex condition and filters, it not calculate on summarize category hierarchy level. It will drill to detail row level to calculate, then summary these results.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.