Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Beckster
Frequent Visitor

Cross Filtering with Multi Dimensional SSAS

Hi

We have a new SSAS cubes I am wanting to build some reporting on.

I am wanting to make sure of the existing model etc so am importing as live so I can access the whole cube.

I am finding issues with cross-filtering between dimensions, eg filtering on a field in a dimension correctly filters the measure groups, but related filters (fields from other dimensions within the same cube) are not filtered based on the data selected so am seeing the full data set options.

(eg opportunities dimension is filtered by owner, but the list of related account names in the account dimension still shows all accounts for the entire dataset, not those that should be related to the opportunities dimension).

I have asked the dev building the cubes and he doesn't know what the issue is and says its a power bi problem (and reckons excel is fine) and has no solution.

Anyone else have these issues?

If this doesn't work, I will have to resort to importing the dimensions separately and build the schema again. Whilst this is doable for me (yet a pain), this is not a solution for our 'self-serve' colleagues who don't have the skills to do this via desktop and want to be able to connect to the cubes via online gateway (most colleagues use macs which doesn't have the functionality needed in mac excel).

2 REPLIES 2
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@Beckster

As I tested, when you put both dimension members into a visual, it will filter the related members properly.

123.PNG

124.PNG

If you only put one dimension in table visual, you must put measure as well so that another dimension slicer can work properly.

125.PNG

126.PNG

However, it find Excel behave almost same way like Power BI Desktop. Please update your Power BI Desktop into latest version to see if it works.

Regards,

Hello,

the problem is not resolved because I have the same problem.

1 measure connected with 2 dimension in a multi-dimensional cube

In powerbi desktop, the two slicers do not filter between them.

and on Excel it works very well

example:

Error_SSAS_2_DIM_ErrorSlicer.jpg

Thank you
Regards,
Christian

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.