Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Critical Requirement - Display date format in DD/MM/YYYY in Power BI using SSAS Live connection

Hi All,

We have a critical requirement of showing dates in DD/MM/YYYY in Power BI Date Range Slicer. As we are using SSAS live connection, the modelling features of Power BI Desktop gets disabled.

Currently dates are stored in MM/DD/YYYY format in date type column in SQL database pulled to Power BI through SSAS cubes. As soon as we are trying to convert the format in MM/DD/YYYY in SSAS or SQL database it automatically converts the column type to text. And Power BI needs date type column in date range slicer as input.

Please suggest any workarounds to accomplish this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Anonymous ,

By my tests, we could change the date format to be DD/MM/YYYY in SSAS Tabular and it will still keep this format in power bi for live connection.

Do you have the issue for date between slicer in power bi? From my test, the date format DD/MM/YYYY could show correct in list slicer but incorrect in between slicer. 

Capture.PNG

If it is convenient, could you share the screenshot for your scenario so that we could understand it better?

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Anonymous ,

By my tests, we could change the date format to be DD/MM/YYYY in SSAS Tabular and it will still keep this format in power bi for live connection.

Do you have the issue for date between slicer in power bi? From my test, the date format DD/MM/YYYY could show correct in list slicer but incorrect in between slicer. 

Capture.PNG

If it is convenient, could you share the screenshot for your scenario so that we could understand it better?

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-piga-msft ,

Thanks for your reply. Yeah we also need this format in Date range slicer and not in list slicer, So as soon as you convert your date into DD/MM/YYYY format, the column type becomes text and date range slicer accomodates only date type column. Therefore in date range slicer it is showing as MM/DD/YYYY format. And list slicer can accomodate text type column also.

vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous  can i ask why it needs to be in that date format?

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@vanessafvg ,

Actually the customer requirement is to show in DD/MM/YYYY format and this format is possible only with text column type, but if you go through our conversation chain, date range slicer only accomodates date type column. So somehow it automatically converts this to MM/DD/YYYY format.

Please suggest if any further updates on this.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.