Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JP_Sthlm

Credential issue: PBI desktop to Sharepoint connection

I have an organizational account for both SharePoint and PowerBI. 

I used to be able to update my reports through files uploaded on SharePoint, but now I get an error message regarding my credentials. (My boss however still can update my file, so the problem seems to be only for me)

I also cannot connect a brand new report to SharePoint. The error message looks like this. 

JP_Sthlm_1-1659367361004.png

Of course, I already tried SSO, Windows and anonymous. 

I have logged out and in to PBI and Sharepoint by typing in my credentials, but that did not help either. 

None in my organization seems to be familiar with the problem nor has a clue what to do so I am reaching out to you all!

In my organization we change login credentials to all company systems on a regularly basis and the only connection I found was that the issue occured after my last change, but then again, if that is the reason behind my issue, so It should be for everybody else in my organization and a common issue. But it's not, so I'm not sure if it is relevant at all. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I got it to work again, not sure what was actually the reason, but what I did was: Downloading the desktop app again in my local language, but also the english version. And it worked. 

Now I have to open the desktop app first and then open my report. 

Thanks for all suggestions!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
AmieButler

Hi @JP_Sthlm 

I was able to get this to work by connecting to the SharePoint file via Get Data>Web, not via the SharePoint folder option. Then using the "Organisational Account" options as the credentials.

Refer to the first method for connecting to Excel file on Sharepoint here:  https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Integrations-with-Files-and/SharePoint-On-Premise-Connection-to-Exc...

Hope this helps.

I got it to work again, not sure what was actually the reason, but what I did was: Downloading the desktop app again in my local language, but also the english version. And it worked. 

Now I have to open the desktop app first and then open my report. 

Thanks for all suggestions!

AmieButler

Hi,

Just wondering whether you had any luck with this issue. I have come across the same thing, it has only started 2 months ago. Before that I had no issues connecting Power BI Desktop to data sources requiring my Microsoft account. I get the same error and can also access the SharePoint site in question. When I do try signing into the Microsoft account (as per your original screenshot) a window quickly appears/disappears which I believe says "You've been successfully logged out".

I have also tried deleting the Power BI Desktop cache and our IT Systems Admin has also looked into it from the organisation side but nothing there. 

Thanks

JP_Sthlm

Hi, thank you for your reply. 

I can access Sharepoint normally, and my boss even tested to make me owner of the Sharepoint for a while, which did not help either. 

v-easonf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @JP_Sthlm 

Have you checked the file's permissions?

Can your current account access files on sharepoint normally?

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.